A warm welcome from your Clemson leadership

Clemson University President Jim Clements applauds the class of 2023 at the spring graduation ceremony. 
Clemson University // Courtesy

Letters from the Deans 

University President – Jim Clements 

I am excited to welcome you to Clemson University, where you will have an amazing experience and make lifelong memories with new friends. You are about to begin your academic journey at one of the best public research universities in the country, where you will learn from our world-class faculty and engage with our dedicated staff. Everyone here is focused on providing the #1 student experience, so I encourage you to take advantage of the many opportunities available to you.

Interact with your classmates, get to know your professors, go to class and ask questions, join a social organization, connect with Clemson through social media, attend sporting events, and support your fellow Tigers. I look forward to seeing you around campus and, in a few short years, I will be honored to present you with your class ring then shake your hand at graduation. You are a valued member of the Clemson Family, so wear the Tiger Paw with pride, knowing that you are the newest keepers of our values and traditions. Go Tigers!

[Twitter and Instagram: @ClemsonPrez]

Vice President of Student Affairs – Dr. Chris Miller 

On behalf of our team in Student Affairs and the entire Clemson Family, I want to welcome you to the first step of your college journey.

Our role in Student Affairs is predicated on your transition in, through and out of this institution. You will be challenged during your time at Clemson, but we are positioned to support your growth and maturity as you build resilience for a complex world. We are intentional about creating meaningful and enriching experiences for ALL of our students.

As you navigate this new endeavor, I encourage you to find your community and seek leadership and service opportunities. With more than 500 student organizations, there is truly something for each of you at this University. One of our key introductions to campus life is through Welcome Week, which includes a robust schedule of programs and activities designed to ease your transition to Clemson. Take advantage of these engagement opportunities!

With more than 60,000 applicants in the most recent admissions cycle, Clemson University has become a point of destination. We are grateful for the trust you have placed in us and are excited for the future we will build together. Go Tigers!
Director of Athletics – Graham Neff  

As the Director of Athletics at Clemson University, it is my distinct pleasure to welcome you to the Clemson Family! We are thrilled that you have chosen to join us, and we eagerly look forward to engaging you throughout your journey at Clemson.

Clemson is a place where students not only receive an exceptional education but also have the opportunity to support an athletics program that is recognized nationwide. Our teams, across all sports, are known for their commitment to excellence, discipline, teamwork, and leadership – qualities we believe align with the values of Clemson University.

The past year has been marked by outstanding achievements on and off the field. Some of the highlights include:

• Four team ACC Championships (football, women’s golf, men’s outdoor track and field, baseball) in a single athletic year for the first time since 1998-99.

• NCAA appearances from football, men’s soccer, women’s soccer, softball, baseball, men’s golf, women’s golf, and track and field.

• Lacrosse played its inaugural season, and gymnastics welcomed its first recruiting class in preparation for the 2023-24 season.

• Giano Roberts won an Indoor NCAA Championship in the 60m hurdles.

• Valerie Cagle became the second woman from Clemson in any sport to win a National Player of the Year award.

We can’t wait to see what you bring to our venues. 

While we operate over in the athletics district, we are dedicated to our mission to enhance the student experience for all students at Clemson. A thriving athletics program helps create a tremendous campus atmosphere.  

Our athletic events provide a unique opportunity to showcase our collective spirit, unity, and pride. They offer us a chance to cheer on our dedicated student-athletes, experience unforgettable moments, and create lasting memories. The energy and enthusiasm you bring to our stadiums, fields, and arenas make a real difference and contribute directly to our teams’ performances.

I am thrilled to remind you that as Clemson students, you have the privilege of attending regular season home athletic events for free. This is an excellent opportunity to demonstrate your Tiger pride, build community, and enjoy some of the nation’s best collegiate sports competition.

In the spirit of creating the best environment possible, I urge each of you to uphold the highest standards of sportsmanship and class. Our passion should always be displayed in a respectful manner that honors our opponents, officials, and fellow fans. Our conduct reflects not only on ourselves but on the entire Clemson community. 

Remember, we are not just spectators but ambassadors of our university. Clemson is not only known for excellence in academics and athletics but also in character and respect.

Together, we can make the Clemson experience unforgettable for everyone involved.

To get the latest information on our programs, download the ClemsonTigers app to receive all the information you need on our 21 programs and upcoming student events and promotions.

We hope that you’ll also consider joining the IPTAY Collegiate Club, one of the most engaged student groups in the nation. The membership includes benefits that include a football ticket benefit, access to Clemson+, priority points upon graduation, and more.  

Thank you for your support and Welcome to Clemson! I look forward to seeing you at our upcoming athletic events. Go Tigers!

Dean of the Libraries – Christopher Cox 

Welcome to Clemson! There’s something in these hills, and there’s something in the library that

can help you succeed in your studies. The Clemson Library system includes six physical locations – Cooper Library, in the center of campus, as well as branches for architecture, education, archival materials and specialized locations in Greenville and Charleston.

All our collections and services are available 24/7 from our website, so we’re ready to assist you

when you need us. Speaking of collections, we have a lot of them! The Libraries provide access to over 2 million books, print and electronic, and over 1 million journals articles which provide information you can trust to use for papers, presentations or other class projects. Don’t have what you’re looking for? We can get materials from other libraries in the state, across the country, and the world. Interested in doing some original research? The Libraries’ Special Collections and Archives has original documents which tell the history of Clemson and the Upstate, as well as the papers of distinguished alumni faculty and administrators. The largest items in our collection are our historical properties, which include the original plantation house of Thomas Green Clemson. These properties are open for you to explore and learn about Clemson’s beginnings and the diverse individuals who contributed to the institution you are attending today.

Each college has a librarian assigned to it who is an expert in the subject matter you are studying. They are ready to help with your research and assignments. You may even see them in class! Additional support can be found in our new learning commons, a one-stop shop to connect you to writing, tutoring, research, technology, health, and career services. Clemson Libraries also provides equipment and spaces like the Adobe Studio and Makerspace that you can reserve to print a 3D project, record a podcast, or shoot and edit a video.

Lastly, Cooper Library continues to be voted the #1 study space by students year after year. Check out our views of the reflection pond or hunker down in our stacks. Whether you want to study individually or in a group, or grab a cup of coffee at Starbucks, we have all the amenities to get you through assignments and exams.

We encourage you to stop by and visit us! Again, welcome to Clemson, and know that the Libraries are here to provide you with the collections, services and spaces you need to make the most of your time here.
College of Architecture, Arts and Humanities – Nicholas Vazsonyi 

Welcome to the brand new College of Arts & Humanities, which just opened its doors July 1 of this year. Many of our faculty come from Ivy League and other top-flight graduate schools and have become internationally recognized scholars. We are excited at the possibilities our new College will have to promote arts and humanities at Clemson, and we invite you to come take a class or two with us, even if it is not part of your major. You never know what might awaken your interest and imagination. Clemson’s first-ever Rhodes Scholar, Louise Franke, was a biological sciences major, but she took a philosophy course where she read the German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche. It turned her world upside down. Now she is studying philosophy at Oxford University in England, all expenses paid, and has any number of paths open to her going forward.

College of Behavioral, Social and Health Sciences – Leslie Hossfeld
Welcome to the Clemson Family! I am delighted you have chosen to further your education at Clemson and look forward to the role the College of Behavioral, Social and Health Sciences will play in your academic journey.

The next four years will afford you many opportunities to learn and grow as a person and preprofessional, and I encourage you to stretch yourselves, step out of your comfort zones and take advantage of all of the unique experiences the University has to offer.
Clemson faculty, staff and students are among the nation’s best and brightest, and they will help you expand your knowledge, explore your interests, and ignite the passions that will drive your future careers – and lives.

Many of you will take courses in CBSHS during your time at Clemson, and I look forward to the opportunity for us to further our mission to build people and communities together.

Best of luck as you begin this new chapter – and go tigers!

College of Architecture, Art and Construction – George J. Petersen 

As we begin the start of another fall semester and academic year at the BEST University in South Carolina, I would like to welcome our first-time Clemson students and all our returning students. I hope you take the opportunity over the next few weeks to explore this beautiful campus, see some of its iconic landmarks and participate in some of the upcoming events designed to help you navigate the University and become aquatinted with what it means to be part of the Clemson Family.

We want your time here to be memorable, and this starts with your success as a student. Now is a good time to visit with your academic advisors, meet and speak with your professors, join a student organization, participate in extramural activities, and of course, attend the amazing events offered here at Clemson.  

When you are on-line, you can visit a resource especially for Clemson students called, Student Leadership and Engagement: https://www.clemson.edu/studentaffairs/get-involved/csle/orientation/index.html – this website has information on Clemson events like Orientation, Welcome Week, Clemson events and staying connected. This will be a good place to start.

You have joined the Clemson Family at an amazing and exciting time in the university’s history.  We have recently announced Clemson Elevate, a bold new strategic plan which focuses on you because we want to deliver the #1 student experience while also doubling our research expenditures and transforming lives statewide and beyond! 

We are thrilled you are here and trust you will find unlimited opportunities for growth at Clemson. As a university dedicated to educating the next generation of contributors and leaders, we are excited to invest in your future and partner with you as you pursue and fulfill your dreams. Wishing you a fantastic school year!

College of Agriculture, Forestry and Life Sciences – Keith L. Belli 

Dear Tigers,

You are officially beginning your exciting journey as a Clemson student. We are thrilled you’ve chosen to spend your college career with us.

While Clemson is a large university, your college will give you a home base – a community. There, you can connect with other students, both inside and outside the classroom. And you can build relationships with staff and faculty who are here to support you.

Our students and graduates often remark that the sense of community in the College of Agriculture, Forestry and Life Sciences is one of the things that means the most to them, and the connections you make here are ones you will maintain for years to come.

Starting college is an incredible time of transition. No doubt you are excited and maybe even a little nervous. I hope you’ll embrace all Clemson has to offer you – and I hope you’ll leave a mark during your time here.

College of Engineering, Computing and Applied Sciences – Anad Gramopadhye

On behalf of the College of Engineering, Computing and Applied Sciences, I want to welcome you, the Class of 2027, as you begin your first semester as a college student. Your hard work has gotten you here, and we welcome the opportunity to help you shape your future.

College is a new, exciting experience, and I encourage you to look around and take advantage of everything Clemson and our college has to offer. Your course work is, of course, of utmost importance. But learning doesn’t just take place in the classroom or in front of a computer screen any more. We have makerspaces and labs where you can be creative and experiment with your own ideas; we have learning communities for collaborating with your fellow students, and we have creative inquiry courses where you work with your professor and peers on innovative research projects.

We also have wonderful clubs and programs as well as study abroad, entrepreneurship, service learning, and leadership opportunities that let you go beyond the campus and out into the real-world. Our goal in the college to make sure you have the complete Clemson Experience. But these experiences won’t come to you, so take the initiative to find those that appeal to you. Our staff, faculty advisors and teaching assistants are here to guide you; seek them out when you need help.

The next four years will be some of the best of your life; you will be building memories and friendships that will last you a lifetime, so enjoy yourselves, have fun and be happy! But not so much you forget to study; after all that’s why you are here, and I want to be able to congratulate you four years from now as you walk across the stage at graduation.

College of Business – Wendy York 

We are thrilled that you have chosen to be a Tiger and want to congratulate you on all you have accomplished to arrive at this point in your academic journey. You have chosen to pursue a highly marketable degree at one of the top public business schools in the country. As you explore our beautiful new business school building and our innovative programs, I encourage you to commit to engagement with our faculty and staff, utilize the many resources afforded to you, and enjoy being a student at this special place we call Clemson.

You belong here and we cannot wait to see how you influence our community in pursuit of your goals. Congratulations and welcome to the Clemson family!

College of Science – Christina Young 

Fall is an exciting time at Clemson University as our classrooms and labs fill once again with students. Amid the hubbub of the start of the semester, we reserve particular enthusiasm for welcoming our first-year and transfer students, those of you just embarking on your Clemson journey. Whether you’re a biology enthusiast, a chemistry fiend, a math whiz, a genetics fan, a physics aficionado or a future doctor, we’re proud to welcome you to the Clemson University College of Science. Here you’ll find world-class faculty tackling the big scientific challenges of tomorrow and preparing the next generation of thought leaders (you!).

The College of Science is committed to providing students the opportunity to pursue one of our signature learning experiences — research, internships, entrepreneurship and global engagement. Get involved with research alongside our faculty. Intern with one of our industry partners. Invent something for the Catalyst competition (think “Shark Tank”). Study abroad. Connect with peers through COSMIC, our award-winning peer mentoring program, or in SCISAB, my student advisory board. Whatever path you chose, the College of Science is ready to help you get there. Welcome — and go Tigers!