Akers: Tips to remember as you start college

Ashleigh Snyder // Contributor

A front view of Clemson University’s Carillon Garden.

Starting college is exciting but also a bit scary. Transitioning from high school to a university is definitely a lot to take in, but here are some tips to help you start your college career at Clemson University.
Time management 
You should always read your syllabus and find a time management system that works for you. 
You will thank yourself in the long run if you start the semester off right by being organized and confident about due dates throughout the semester. Things can get overwhelming pretty quickly with so much to juggle, so save yourself some stress. 
Try an online calendar that you can always refer to at any time and prevent the sudden panic of asking yourself, “did I turn that in?” Nothing is worse than emailing your professor and begging for forgiveness on a late assignment at 1 a.m.
Speak up! 
You should also communicate, make friends with your classmates and speak up in class.
Not every class will require this, but more than likely, you will encounter a class that grades your participation. So whenever the opportunity arises, ask some questions and share your opinions. Forcing yourself to do this earlier will only make it easier for you in the long run. Plus, the connections and relationships you can make this way are bound to make your college experience much more enjoyable.
Parking…
Another tip that most Clemson students cannot stress enough is that you should give yourself extra time to find parking.
Unfortunate but true. Nothing could have prepared me for how many times parking would cause me to miss the first half of lectures during my first on-campus semester. Always give yourself extra time, and after a while, you’ll become a pro at determining the exact time you need to get to the parking lot based on when your class starts.
Campus resources 
Utilize the many amenities that Clemson offers for students.
For one, the buses are a great way to help save your feet from the long walks across the hilly campus. However, Clemson also has great resources for students, including tutoring and academic help through the Academic Success Center, as well as resume reviews and practice interviews through the Center of Career and Professional Development. These are great resources and only scratch the surface of all the amenities that Clemson offers.
Get involved  
Most importantly, remember to try your best to get involved on campus.
Joining a club or an organization could be the thing that completely transforms your college experience. It’s a great way to make new friends and gain new skills that could be applied to a future career. It’s also a great way to get into hobbies and activities outside of academics. Clemson has a vast list of great organizations that you should definitely take a second to review.
Now that you have a few tips up your sleeve to start college, you’re going to be way ahead of everyone else, so don’t worry. You’re going to do great! 
Welcome to Clemson, and Go Tigers!
Madison Akers is a senior communication major from Easley, South Carolina. Madison can be reached at [email protected].