Tiger’s Two Cents: Freshmen edition

It is natural to have questions coming into college and to be seeking advice from fellow Clemson students about life and classes. So, we have expanded our advice column in this issue to answer a couple of questions among upcoming freshman. If you have more questions or need some advice, send us a message!

“Which is best, taking early morning, afternoon or late classes?”

Generally, it depends on how you personally work best. However, I recommend morning classes over evening classes for many reasons.

First, taking early classes forces you to get up and get productive early in the day, maximizing the time you would be using to sleep in otherwise. Also, taking your classes at the beginning of the day frees up the rest of your day to do homework, attend clubs, hang out with friends or get extra work done.

This being said, if you are the kind of person who works best later in the day, starting classes in the afternoon could benefit you more. Luckily, there are many different class times and multiple semesters to learn what works best for you.

However, make sure not to shy away from earlier classes. They are a great motivator to start your day. Giving it a shot this semester will not be the end of the world and may even introduce new healthy habits and add extra time to your day.

“How do I find extracurriculars to join that are right for me?”

Moving to college and starting fresh is a pretty daunting task for all of us. Looking for a place to meet people and find community is the right place to start, and how to do it is a great question.

For one, Clemson University holds Tiger Prowl each fall, which allows students to check out the clubs and organizations around campus. It is a great way to talk to some members of the clubs and get a feel for whether it is the club for you.

You can also check out TigerQuest for information about clubs and when they meet. Though this does not give you a great feel for the clubs themselves, it allows you to go check out a club and see firsthand what it is like.

The best advice I could give is to go check out some clubs and attend a few meetings. Do not give up after attending once; give it a fair shot and give yourself a chance to warm up. The Clemson community is very warm and welcoming, so I am sure that you will find just the right people for you.

“How do I find time to balance school work and a social life?”

One of the most difficult challenges you will confront entering college is finding a way to manage your time. The most effective way to find a balance between the two is to create a routine.

Set aside a specific part of your day devoted to planning out your week and spending time doing school work. Find a comfortable place and sit each day for about an hour or two and only focus on your school work. If you need more time, sit for longer, but use this time as an advantage.

This will help you to free your evenings up to hang out with friends, attend organizations or check out what Clemson has to offer besides academic life.

Make sure to set your priorities correctly, but do not work yourself to death or overstress. Find a routine that works for you and stick to it. This will help to maximize your time and add structure to your daily life.

At the end of the day, it is important to find whatever method works best for you, which may take some time, but establishing an effective strategy is key.