Introduction to CUSG elections

The 2019 President and Vice President elections are in full swing with candidates highlighting their platforms all throughout campus.
Cassidy Tom, News Layout Editor

It’s that time of the year again that everyone loves. CUSG election campaigning is underway, and this year, the candidates are amazing people who have plans to help Clemson University be the very best that it can be. This year, the candidates are Collin Huskey and Rena Haley, Derwin Simpson and Jeremy Lutz, Banner Brock and Jade Richard, Logan Young and Andrew Kwasny and Diamond Brown and Thomas Marshall III. All of these candidates have exhibited ideas that will help to improve life at Clemson University for students through the policies that they wish to carry out should they be elected into office. While platforms still have yet to be officially approved by the university, these goals are what the candidates will be focusing on and striving towards if they are elected.

Huskey and Haley are campaigning with the platform of “Reaching New Heights.” This duo wishes to improve campus life development and the community connectivity that is found at Clemson University.

“We don’t want to fix Clemson, but rather to enhance the experience.” Huskey said.

Their ideas and policies would affect parking, mental health and wellness awareness and environmental sustainability just to name a few.

Simpson and Lutz are running using the platform of “Seizing Our Moment.” Both men wish to help improve the university and carry out the ideals that make Clemson such an amazing place. They wish to empower students to make the most of their experience at Clemson and create many special moments that they will remember for a lifetime. A few policies that Simpson and Lutz are planning to focus on if elected are supporting student organizations, bridging gaps and supporting underrepresented communities, student relations with the university (i.e. parking, student ticketing, etc.) and mental health awareness.

Brock and Richard are running using the platform of “Your Voice.” These candidates wish to improve the life of students on campus by focusing on the wellness, empowerment and community that makes Clemson so great. A few of the policies that they wish to focus on, should they become elected, are mental health awareness, more study spaces for students and improving upon the community.

“We think we can actually get something done,” Brock said, addressing why they wished to run for CUSG. “We have relationships with people in housing, dining, athletics and President Clements and his team.”

Young and Kwasny are using the platform of “Uproar” in their campaign. With a three-pronged campaign that focuses on school spirit, academics and community, Young and Kwasny hope to begin some new traditions while advocating for improvements concerning Greek Life, the student voice and student ticketing for athletics. Academically, the campaign includes improvements to academic policies and health systems on campus, and it pushes for a universal room reservation system. Affordability, sustainability and parking are also focuses of Young and Kwasny’s platform.

Brown and Marshall are running under the campaign platform of “Elevate.” Their campaign consists of three basic components: raise, empower and soar. Their campaign is comprised of several different components, such as creating events that help to enhance the experience of students, addressing issues found within each specific college to help students have a better opportunity to succeed and enhancing everyday efforts that directly affect students such as dining hall issues, support for all types of students and mental health awareness.

All of these students have answered the call to serve the student body and to create a voice to address the important issues that require answers. Each team has a platform that will only help to better Clemson University for all that are a part of the Clemson family. Elections are important because they allow us, the students, to decide who will represent us in addressing the important issues on our campus, and these students running will work to embody the ideals of Clemson University.