CUPD investigating catalytic converter theft on campus

Clemson News // Courtesy

Clemson University Police Department is investigating the theft of “multiple catalytic converters” that occurred in the area of R-2, R-3, R-4, R-8, R-9 and C-2 parking lots and Holmes Hall between the hours of 2-5 a.m. on Wednesday, according to the department’s Instagram page.

CUPD is looking for individuals spotted driving a possible 2023 black Toyota Camry with New York license plate number “KBB2937.” Those individuals are believed to have information that would aid the police department in furthering the investigation, according to the Instagram post.

If Clemson community members have any information to share, CUPD may be contacted by phone at 864-656-2222. Those with information may also utilize the “Text CU Dispatch” feature in the Rave Guardian app.

Catalytic converters are exhaust emission control devices that are typically on the undercarriage of cars, often located between the engine and the muffler. They are frequently stolen because they are made with valuable metals like platinum and palladium.

One contributor for Autolist said that most stolen catalytic converters can see a return of anywhere from $150 to $1,500.

In October 2023, a Californian family pleaded guilty to its involvement in a $600 million nationwide catalytic converter theft ring. USA Today reported that the ring operated for three years, involving the transportation of the converters from California to New Jersey.