CUSG brings back annual Major Minor Fair

Clemson News
Students will have the opportunity to speak with various employers at the Major Minor Fair

For the first time in five years, the Clemson Undergraduate Student Government is hosting this year’s Major Minor Fair directly inside the Hendrix Student Center on Feb. 8 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.

Since the event’s last inception in 2019, the current CUSG committee of academic affairs is renewing this hands-on experience for students to access helpful resources in navigating their area of study.

Accompanied by members of the University’s staff and faculty, representatives from CUSG expressed that the fair hopes to help students decide what research best tailors their career goals and interests by being able to learn more about all of the individual majors and minors offered.

Open to all years and continuing students, this year’s Major Minor Fair has “something for everyone,” according to academic affairs committee member Leanna Shaben, and is especially important for upperclassmen who may still be interested in what other majors or minors have to offer.

“While websites are helpful for many students, the websites can be hard to navigate for some, and this opportunity gives a tangible resource that we’re excited to share,” Shaben commented in an interview with The Tiger. “Sparking the initial interest for students and redirecting them to what benefits them the most is the focus of the major minor event.”

Matching students with their prospective realm of research and directing their paths to further career opportunities and internships are also a part of the event, acting as another opportunity for students to learn more in a setting outside of the Career Fair that was offered from Feb. 6-8.

Launching this event included coordinating and cooperating with the University, which provided pamphlets and other resources directly from the Michelin Career Center with tips for resume building, job and intern applications and other useful models and materials aimed towards servicing students that will be available at the fair.

Being scheduled on the last day of the University’s Career Fair, located at Littlejohn Coliseum, the Major Minor Fair allows students who may have decided upon a career choice to decide what major or minor best suits their current career interests from a professional and technical lens if they need additional guidance.

The fair includes representatives from all eight colleges within Clemson University, with various professors, faculty, academic advisors and student senators present to answer questions and provide advice to students attending.