4 former Tigers make Super Bowl 58

Lawton Hilliard, Contributor
Clemson wide receivers Justyn Ross (8) and E.J. Williams (6) celebrate against South Carolina State in Memorial Stadium on Sept. 11, 2021.

As the 2023 NFL season comes to a close, there are several Clemson football alumni who put up noteworthy performances throughout the year and four who will play in Super Bowl 58 on Sunday.

Wide receiver and kick returner Ray-Ray McCloud III and defensive end Clelin Ferrell will be in Las Vegas for the 49ers, while wide receivers Cornell Powell and Justyn Ross will be in attendance for the Chiefs. Ferrell and Powell will both not play, however.

McCloud recorded 12 receptions for 135 yards as part of San Francisco’s elite offense this season. Ross, in the same position, tallied six receptions for 53 yards under the arm of quarterback Patrick Mahomes. Ferrell and Powell did not record any statistics this season.

Ross, who the Chiefs signed as an undrafted free agent in 2022, and Powell, who the Chiefs drafted in 2021, will look to win their second Super Bowl ring with Kansas City. The other two former Tigers will look to win their first championship.

As far as other Tigers in the playoffs and regular season, several names were called out time and time again.

The dynamic duo of Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Trevor Lawrence and running back Travis Etienne Jr. made their mark in a big way. Despite failing to lead the team to the playoffs, Lawrence ended his regular season with 4,016 passing yards. Etienne reached the 1,000-yard club again, scoring 11 touchdowns in the process.

The newest professional Tigers made their mark in big ways. New Orleans Saints defensive tackle Bryan Bresee racked up 4.5 sacks and seven tackles for loss, while Cincinnati Bengals lineman Myles Murphy totaled three sacks and tackles for loss.

Playing in the same division as Murphy, Baltimore Ravens linebacker Trenton Simpson moved the furthest into postseason play of Clemson’s rookies, finishing his first year in the league with 10 solo tackles and one sack.

Miami Dolphins defensive tackle Christian Wilkins was a force on the defensive line this season, earning nine sacks and 10 tackles for loss. Additionally, New York Giants defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence II earned his second Pro Bowl honor in a row thanks to his 53 tackles with 4.5 sacks as an interior lineman.