Hall leads Tigers to upset over No. 3 UNC

Clemson center PJ Hall speaks to Jay Williams and Rece Davis after defeating No. 3 North Carolina on Feb. 6, 2024.

The Tigers had been taking some heartbreaking losses throughout their past five games of ACC play, going 2-3 and losing by a combined five points in those losses, including one-point losses by the hands of Duke and Virginia and a three-point loss to Georgia Tech.

Clemson looked to “flip the script,” as center PJ Hall said in his post-game conference after the Tigers’ tough loss to Virginia at home, and they did just that on Tuesday. Clemson ended the night defeating North Carolina 80-76 in a historic feat.

The Tigers had come into Chapel Hill to take on their most formidable opponent on the road in the No. 3 ranked North Carolina Tar Heels, winning four of their last five and coming into Tuesday night knocking off the No. 9 ranked Duke.

This matchup showcased two of the best big men in the ACC: Armando Bacot and PJ Hall. Hall had the edge of the matchup as he led everyone on the floor with 25 points and was one rebound away from a double-double with nine.

“After a loss like this, we will be ready,” Hall said after the loss to Virginia.

Everything came to fruition on Tuesday for the Tigers as they came out on fire with a 15-2 point lead, forcing the Tar Heels into an early timeout. Hall shined in the first half, leading the Tigers in scoring and putting up impressive shooting numbers, shooting 55% from the field and 60% from three.

Even as North Carolina made runs throughout the second half to make up for an early deficit, the Tigers had answers from Hall, Ian Schieffelin and Joseph Girard III. Hall left no doubt and made two game-sealing free throws to complete the Tigers’ second win against the Tar Heels in program history.

Brownell’s tough and experienced squad continues to roll with the ebbs and flows of this season and feels like it can compete with the best teams in the country. Tuesday night, the Tigers provided another statement win on their record heading into their final nine games of the season.