Tigers get stung at home, fall to Yellow Jackets in nail-biter

Clemson forward Amari Robinson drives into the paint during the Tigers’ game against Georgia Tech in Littlejohn Coliseum on Feb. 15, 2024.

The Clemson women’s basketball team lost a nail-biter to Georgia Tech 64-63 on Thursday at Littlejohn Coliseum.

The Tigers began the game slower than usual, racking up 22 points in the first half, 16 of which came in the first quarter. Clemson went into halftime facing a nine-point deficit to a Georgia Tech team that has been above average this year, and while overcoming this deficit was feasible, the Tigers needed a strong performance in the second half to come out of this game with a win.

In need of a spark, the Tigers came out of the locker room on fire, outscoring Georgia Tech 27 to 12 in the third quarter and taking a six-point lead heading into the fourth.

As they entered the fourth quarter, the Tigers kept their lead; however, the Yellow Jackets continued to chip away until the score was tied at 60 with two and a half minutes left on the clock. The ball traveled back and forth between the teams as stingy defense prevented either side from breaking the deadlock.

Finally, Georgia Tech guard Kara Dunn made a layup with 58 seconds remaining to take a two-point lead, paving the way for her teammates to score two more free throws. The Tigers’ final score came from Dayshanette Harris, who nailed a buzzer-beater 3-pointer to end the game at 64-63.

While the score did not end in Clemson’s favor, the game didn’t disappoint in player performances. Harris led the team in points and assists with 24 and seven, respectively; Ruby Whitehorn finished with 12 points and a team-high nine rebounds; and Amari Robinson finished with 20 points and eight rebounds.

The Tigers will look onward to their next game against Pittsburgh at noon this Sunday at Littlejohn Coliseum.