Clemson scores 16 in win over Coastal Carolina

Graduate+Kerri+Thornton+%2823%29+celebrates+with+Shannon+Brazier+%2824%29+and+Regan+Byrne+%2810%29+after+scoring+against+Coastal+Carolina+for+the+second+time+on+Saturday.+
Mya McKenzie
Graduate Kerri Thornton (23) celebrates with Shannon Brazier (24) and Regan Byrne (10) after scoring against Coastal Carolina for the second time on Saturday.

In just the second game at its newly constructed stadium, the Clemson women’s lacrosse team took down in-state opponent Coastal Carolina by a score of 16-5. The Tigers, ranked 21st in the nation, now sit with a 3-0 record and hopes higher than ever.

With the first draw at noon, Clemson fans were eagerly anticipating the game to get underway – and they were not disappointed. By the end of the first quarter, the Tigers held a 4-0 lead thanks to two scores from Emma Tilson and a goal each from Regan Byrne and Shannon Brazier.

The second quarter was a shootout. Clemson’s offense was connecting seamlessly, and even missed shots found their way into the net. After Clemson attacker Claire Boskstie belted a shot against the crossbar, captain Kerri Thornton was the first to react as she scooped up the rebound and scored her fourth goal of the season with 3:41 remaining before halftime.

Some high-octane lacrosse helped Thornton, Emma Tilson, Jasmine Stanton, Shannon Brazier and Regan Byrne each put two goals to their name before halftime. Eleven total goals were scored between both teams in the second quarter, Clemson being responsible for nine of them, and it entered the locker room with a comfortable 13-2 lead at halftime.

Coastal Carolina (1-2) was searching for a lifeline as the third quarter started. Sophomore Alyson Mascolo netted her second of the match, but the Tigers proved to be too strong. Clemson’s defense and unrelenting offensive firepower made consistency difficult for the Chanticleers, as the Tigers forced 18 total turnovers and only gave up nine themselves.

Clemson attacker Jasmine Stanton completed her first career hat trick in the fourth quarter after not scoring in either of Clemson’s previous two games. The last goal of the game went to Coastal Carolina’s Devin Rybacki before the Tigers came away with the 11-goal win.

Despite being in their second-ever season as a program, the Tigers’ offensive chemistry seemed to be firing on all cylinders, as eight different Tigers wrote their name on the scoresheet. Nine total saves, and overall solid goalkeeping from both Emily Lamparter and Krissy Kowalski made Clemson’s cage almost untouchable.

The Tigers will be tested in their next two matches as they play back-to-back ranked opponents with No. 25 Duke away next Saturday in Durham, North Carolina, followed by No. 16 Virginia at home the next week. Clemson will look to carry the momentum from its 3-0 start to the season.