Hot shooting propels Tigers past Georgia Tech

William Stehn
Clemson guard Chase Hunter had his best game of the season against the Yellow Jackets on Wednesday night.

The Clemson men’s basketball team routed Georgia Tech on Wednesday night, winning 81-57 on the road at McCamish Pavilion in Atlanta, Georgia.

The game was the teams’ second matchup of the year, with Georgia Tech coming back from down 9 with under two minutes to go in regulation and going on to win in a double-overtime thriller against the Tigers in their previous meet-up.

The Tigers (18-8, 8-7 ACC) were eager to avenge their earlier loss and opened the game hot, connecting on nine of their first 10 shots to open the game up with a 23-9 lead six minutes into the game. Clemson carried its early advantage throughout the first half, leading by as much as 17 before heading into halftime up 43-31.

Celebrating his 22nd birthday, PJ Hall went into the locker room with 11 points and three 3-pointers. The senior is now averaging 19.2 points and 7.1 rebounds and will be hopeful for All-ACC and All-American nods come March.

Following halftime, Clemson increased its lead, limiting Georgia Tech (11-16, 4-12 ACC), which started the second half with a 2-for-15 shooting performance from the field to its fourth lowest-scoring game of the season.

Senior guard Chase Hunter took charge of the scoring in the second half, putting up 11 points after the break. He played a significant role in Clemson’s season-high 14 three-pointers, contributing four. Originally from Atlanta, Hunter attended high school just 18 miles away from McCamish Pavilion and finished with 18 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists in the homecoming game.

Clemson dominated the entirety of the second half, finishing the game with a season-high 14 made threes and out-assisting Georgia Tech 21-6.

Clemson forward Ian Schieffelin led the Tigers in total scoring, finishing with 19 points as well as three 3-pointers. Schieffelin is averaging 9.7 points, 9.2 rebounds and 2.2 assists on 60% from the field and has made a solid case to become the ACC’s most improved player.

Clemson now sits fifth in the ACC with five games remaining in its season and has put themselves in an excellent position to make the NCAA tournament. The Tigers will return to Littlejohn Coliseum on Saturday for a matchup versus Florida State at 7:45 p.m.