Godfrey shines off the bench in crucial win over Seminoles

William Stehn
Clemson forward RJ Godfrey dunks the ball in the Tigers’ game against Florida State in Littlejohn Coliseum on Feb. 24, 2024.

The Tigers earned a much-needed ACC win on Saturday, defeating the Florida State Seminoles 74-63 and moving to fifth in conference standings. Clemson displayed why it is one of the deepest teams in the country against the Seminoles, with Clemson forward RJ Godfrey shining.

All-American center PJ Hall was on the bench with two fouls early in the first half. Godfrey stepped in seamlessly for the Tigers and had what head coach Brad Brownell called “Maybe his best game at Clemson.”

In 22 minutes of play, Godfrey had 12 points, six rebounds, two blocks and two steals and shot 100% from the free throw line, only missing one shot from the field. Four of his points came on two dunks that emphasized his efficient dominance in the paint throughout the game.

In his second season at Clemson, Godfrey has been making big strides and has become one of the Tigers’ main contributors off the bench. He has shown personal improvements in points per game and rebounding and assists compared to his freshman season.

As Godfrey and this young core for Clemson continue to progress, they could create many problems for opposing teams as the ACC Tournament and March Madness rapidly approach.

The Tigers will have a tall task ahead of them at home as they face the Pittsburgh Panthers on Tuesday, Feb. 7, at 7 p.m. The Panthers are currently tied with Clemson in conference record and one of the best road records in the ACC.