Clemson ice hockey falls to South Carolina in final regular season game

Katie Bradham
Clemson celebrates a goal during its game against South Carolina on Feb. 24.

In its final regular season contest of the 2023-24 campaign, the Clemson club ice hockey team fell to in-state rival South Carolina last Saturday at Bon Secours Wellness Arena, 5-3.

Following an impressive performance in the College Hockey South DII playoffs the weekend prior, the Tigers believed they were in an ideal position to defeat their rivals.

South Carolina took a 1-0 lead under five minutes into the opening period, and Clemson responded in short order when Herb Kopf netted his 22nd goal with help from Thomas Samuelsen minutes later.

The Gamecocks reclaimed the lead before the end of the period with a shorthanded goal, then quickly doubled the margin at the start of the middle frame. Ethan Callahan, assisted by Ronan Bryant, buried a goal less than two minutes later to cut South Carolina’s lead in half, but his efforts were in vain as the Gamecocks restored their two-goal lead just moments later.

With 2:17 left in the period, Samuelsen etched his 15th goal of the season while Clemson was on a power play to close the period.

South Carolina finalized the 5-3 score just 4:02 into the third frame, completing its season sweep over the Tigers.

Despite the loss, Clemson is motivated to continue succeeding during its postseason. The Tigers have just three guaranteed games in hand, as they’ll travel to West Chester, Pennsylvania, next week for the team’s second consecutive AAU National Tournament appearance.