Observations from day 2 of Clemson spring practice

Ashleigh Snyder
Clemson quarterback Cade Klubnik runs with the ball during the second day of spring practice on March 1, 2024.

Clemson football’s second spring practice was a bright spot on an otherwise dark, rainy Friday. As the players crowded inside the Allen N. Reeves Football Complex, the Tigers’ focus continued to be high.

Media members were allowed to watch around the first 20 minutes of practice. Here are some notes and takeaways that The Tiger observed:

— The practice started with field goal kicking; Robert Gunn III went 3-for-3 from 27, 32 and 37 yards. Mid-year enrollee Nolan Hauser went 2-for-3 with a miss from 32 yards. Head coach Dabo Swinney mentioned on Wednesday how it would be exciting to watch the competition between these two for the starting placekicker spot.

— Cornerback Avieon Terrell had his right ankle wrapped and was in a green, non-contact jersey on Friday after being a full participant on Wednesday. He did participate in specific drills focused on hand-work against wide receivers, matching up against fellow cornerback Shelton Lewis for most of those drills.

— During a drill, mid-year enrollee wide receiver Bryant Wesco Jr. dropped a pass in front of Swinney, who told him, “Don’t let the ball get away from you.” Swinney then told Wesco to stick his arms and hands out from his body when catching the ball instead of trying to catch it close to his chest. Wesco reran the drill, corrected his technique and caught the next pass.

— Wide receiver Adam Randall has looked noticeably stronger this spring and took first-team reps again on Friday. However, after a drill that involved working on moves off the line of scrimmage, he came up holding his lower right back/hip area. Although Randall continued drills as the media was escorted out of practice, it’s something to keep an eye on for next week.

— Offensive coordinator Garrett Riley worked with the quarterbacks on different option plays. He acted as a pulling guard for the quarterbacks to read and follow behind throughout the play. Riley preached footwork when they worked on faking a pitch and then stepping back into the pocket, primarily focusing on Cade Klubnik’s footwork as he got back into a throwing position.

— Clemson’s first-team offensive line in tempo drills remained the same from Wednesday’s practice. The following players ran out with the first-team offense: Left tackle Tristan Leigh, left guard Collin Sadler, center Ryan Linthicum, right guard Marcus Tate and right tackle Blake Miller. Trent Howard took snaps at center for the second-team while Chapman Pendergrass was the third-team center.

— The punting competition could heat up again as Jack Smith appeared to have a more solid day than Aidan Swanson. Smith had two of his three punts turn over, averaging over 40 yards per kick, with one catching the ceiling of the facility as well. Swanson’s kicks came off wobbly, averaging just 36 yards per kick.

— Tyler Brown was in a yellow non-participant jersey during practice today. Brown is still recovering from his foot surgery, although Swinney mentioned that he is “doing great,” the Tigers expect him to be back later in the spring.

— Boise State head coach Spencer Danielson was on the sidelines at Friday’s practice, speaking to Swinney during downtimes. Swinney has been known to bring other head coaches to practice over the years.

Justin Robertson, The Tiger’s Associate Editor, contributed to this story.