Clemson rents on the rise

Corey Glenn // Asst. News Editor
Chart showing trends in Clemson student housing market.

Rent in Clemson has sharply increased in recent years, according to an investigation by The Tiger.

There has been a sharp increase in rent prices from four different apartment complexes over the past several years, starting in 2021 and accelerating in the past year. Rent has increased in Clemson faster than almost anywhere in the nation, according to the Wall Street Journal.

“I understand that it’s kind of like the times we’re living in, but also, inflation’s ridiculous … But yeah, I mean, can’t really do anything else about it,” Thomas Regan, a junior secondary education major, told The Tiger.

For example, rent at Campus View Apartments has increased from $950 a month for a four-bedroom apartment in 2020 to $1,575 a month for the same floor plan currently.

These rent prices were obtained through conversations with current and former residents of various complexes and through online materials preserved by the Internet Archive.

“I think it’s worth it. I’m an out-of-state student, so it’s expensive either way,” Hannah Johnson, a sophomore pre-pharmacy student, said.

Rent has increased across different types of apartments as well, from the most expensive downtown high-rises to cheaper complexes further away from campus.

At The Villages at Town Creek, a complex on the far side of Pendleton, rent has risen steadily since the COVID-19 pandemic, increasing from $480 a month plus utilities for a four-bedroom in 2019 to $650 plus utilities for fall 2024.

In the middle of the market sits Clemson Village, just north of Tiger Boulevard, where rents are also on the rise. In 2021, for $625 a month plus utilities, students would get a spot in a three-bedroom apartment. However, rent now starts at $810 a month plus utilities for the fall 2024 term.

“Market demand for rental properties in the Clemson area has intensified, driven by factors such as increased enrollment at the university and growing demand for off-campus housing,” Cole Oraham, the director of property management operations at Tiger Properties, told The Tiger. Tiger Properties manages Clemson Village.

“Additionally, rising operational expenses, including property taxes, property insurance, utilities, and maintenance costs, have necessitated adjustments to rental rates to offset these expenses and continue providing a high standard of service and amenities to our residents.”

Management at Clemson Village has also built several new amenities, including a pickleball court and dog park, to help justify the rent increase, Oraham added.

On the other side of town, a more modest rise in rent can be traced back to an increase in maintenance costs. At University Village at Clemson, rent has increased from $437 a month in 2020 to $580 a month.

“The need for maintaining and improving the property, a part of the Clemson community since 2002, has become more prevalent with its age,” Tyler Hey, regional manager at The Preiss Company, told The Tiger. The Preiss Company owns and manages University Village at Clemson.

Recent projects at University Village at Clemson include improved internet access and a five-year roof replacement program.

“It’s also important to note external factors impacting the housing industry as a whole, such as the rising cost of materials, insurance premiums and water,” Hey added.