Clemson run-rules USC Upstate in 11-1 victory

Katherine Shealy
Billy Barlow, pictured pitching against Manhattan on March 13, held USC Upstate to just one run in five innings on Tuesday night.

The No. 2 Clemson Tigers defeated USC Upstate Tuesday night at Fluor Field in Greenville. After just seven innings of play, the Tigers run-ruled the Spartans in a dominant 11-1 win.

The scoring kicked off for Clemson (25-3, 7-2 ACC) in the top of the second inning, as center fielder Cam Cannarella drove in two runs to left field with a single out remaining. After taking the lead then, the Tigers never looked back.

Clemson finished the game with nine hits in total, none of which were the result of a home run. Cannarella and right fielder Alden Mathes led the team with two hits and three RBIs each.

The strength of the Tigers came on the mound, as pitcher Billy Barlow allowed just three hits and one run alongside five strikeouts through five innings. Relievers Joe Allen and Justin LeGuernic allowed no hits or walks and combined for three strikeouts to close out the win.

Clemson will go back on the road to play Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana, on Friday at 4:30 p.m. to kick off a three-game series against the Fighting Irish.