Markus Dixon makes significant strides in Spring Practices

Dixon+will+be+one+to+watch+out+for+in+the+tight+end+position+this+upcoming+football+season%2C+as+he+has+caught+the+attention+of+coaches+in+spring+practice.+
Toby Corriston
Dixon will be one to watch out for in the tight end position this upcoming football season, as he has caught the attention of coaches in spring practice.

Jake Briningstool, Clemson’s senior tight end, is a name familiar to nearly every Tigers fan. After tallying 50 catches for 498 yards and five touchdowns last year, he became a well-known offensive starter. Tight end Josh Sapp, a redshirt sophomore, has also been a steady presence right behind him.

However, redshirt freshman Markus Dixon has undergone significant growth during spring practice. Standing at 6-foot-4 and weighing 245 pounds, Dixon — who saw limited action last season — has captured coaches’ attention this spring.

“He’s a guy coming from his high school, and getting here, it’s all sort of new to him. Just the transition to the speed of the game. But I’ve been really pleased with his growth in the last six months,” offensive coordinator Garrett Riley said. “He’s a guy that has stood out for sure in terms of a big jump.”

Make sure to watch for Dixon in the spring game as he competes alongside seasoned players like Briningstool and Sapp on Saturday at 1 p.m. in Memorial Stadium.