Two Tigers record season highs as Clemson sails past East Carolina

Ashleigh Snyder
The Tigers takedown Eastern Carolina 17-7 after dominant second half.

No. 26 Clemson lacrosse defeated East Carolina, 17-7, on Tuesday in Greenville, North Carolina. Graduate Emma Tilson and freshman Jasmine Stanton each recorded a season high in goals scored in one game, scoring six and five, respectively.

Stanton recorded her first assist and goal in the first quarter, followed by four more across the next three periods. Tilson got on the board halfway through the second quarter and finished the half with two goals. She then added four more during the second half. Stanton and Tilson combined for 11 of Clemson’s 17 goals in the Tigers’ dominant win over the Pirates.

But the Stanton-Tilson duo was not the only force behind Clemson’s win. Regan Byrne, Natalie Shurtleff, Summer Agostino, Claire Bockstie, Shannon Brazier and Caitlin McElwee all tallied one goal each in the matchup, making this Clemson’s third straight game — and eighth this season — with eight or more players recording at least one goal.

In the record-setting performance, the Tigers also tied a season high of 24 draws controlled in one game. Ella Little accounted for 10, just one short of tying her season record.

Junior goalie Emily Lamparter managed eight saves, following up her 11-save performance against the Hokies last Saturday. Her showing against East Carolina marked her seventh straight game with five or more saves and her 12th total game with that record this season.

The score at halftime was tied 7-7, but Clemson quickly changed the tide of the competitive game. The Tigers came out roaring, scoring five goals in each of the last two periods and holding ECU to zero goals, something they had not yet done to an opponent this season.

The Tigers will take on No. 15 Boston College next in a battle of conference rivals. With a win over the Eagles, Clemson would earn its second consecutive season with 10-plus wins and its first win over a ranked opponent this season. The game is slated for noon on Sunday, April 7, in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts.