Tigers in the UFL: The inaugural week

Streeter Lecka // Getty Image
Vic Beasley played at Clemson from 2010-2014 and racked up 67 tackles, 48 tackles for loss, 30 sacks and seven forced fumbles in his time here. He was drafted with the 8th overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft.

The United Football League, the new spring professional football league resulting from the XFL/USFL merger, kicked off this past weekend, and multiple Clemson alums took to the field. Below are details on a few former Tigers who appeared in this first weekend of spring ball:

Vic Beasley, Defensive End | Arlington Renegades 

Beasley — a Tiger from 2011-2014 and First-Team All-Pro NFL player — made his UFL debut in a 27-14 loss to the Birmingham Stallions. 

He proved to be a valuable defensive piece for this upcoming season already, as he racked up four tackles, including one tackle for loss and one sack. 

This singular sack already doubles his amount from the 10-game season he played with the Vegas Vipers of the XFL in 2023. 

As the former XFL Champions, the Arlington Renegades, fell one game in the standings, they look to bounce back and get their first UFL win, traveling to St. Louis to face the Battlehawks (0-1) this Saturday at 8 p.m.

Deon Cain, Wide Receiver | Birmingham Stallions

Following a brief stint with the Philadelphia Eagles, former Clemson wide receiver and USFL Championship MVP Deon Cain is back with the Stallions. Cain played under Dabo Swinney from 2015-2017.

He continued right where he left off after his MVP performance, contributing to a 27-14 victory over the Arlington Renegades in the league’s inaugural game. Cain had three receptions on six targets for a game-high of 66 receiving yards. He also had the game’s highlight with a crisp route down the right sideline, leaving him wide open for a 39-yard touchdown. 

The Stallions and the 6-foot-2 pass catcher started hot on the season and will travel to Ford Field in Detroit this Sunday, looking to remain undefeated versus the Michigan Panthers (1-0). 

T.J. Green, Cornerback | Memphis Showboats

Following his Clemson career from 2013-2014, Green was chosen by the Indianapolis Colts with the 57th overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft. Despite his promising moments, Green couldn’t consistently stay on the field due to injuries. 

After becoming a journeyman throughout the NFL, the former Tiger played in the USFL last season, recording 20 tackles and an interception with the Memphis Showboats. This season, another alum joins him in Memphis: Diondre Overton. 

While Overton looks to make plays for the offense, Green still looks to be a solid defensive starter after recording two solo tackles in an 18-12 victory over the Houston Roughnecks on the road. 

Green and the Showboats will look to host their first home game of the season this Saturday against the offensive-minded San Antonio Brahmas (1-0) at Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium.