WSBF concert kicks off Pride Week

Rhylie Ladoucer
Secret Shame performing at the WSBF-FM Pride Week kick off.

Four local alternative and emo artists rocked Clemson’s amphitheater last Saturday during a free concert hosted by WSBF-FM, Clemson’s student-run radio station. The show kicked off a week-long celebration of Pride in partnership with Clemson’s Sexuality & Gender Engagement Committee and Sexuality & Gender Alliance.

Solo artist Pagan Rage opened the show. Channeling alternative and emo sounds with on-the-fly voice modulating, Pagan Rage set the tempo for the following acts as she performed songs from her recently released album, “Death of Celebrity.”

Next in the lineup was Newgrounds Death Rugby. Hailing from Charleston, South Carolina, the emo group followed up Pagan Rage’s set and then some. They performed music from their previously released discography, as well as new material. “If you’re queer or you have queer friends, this one’s for you,” lead singer Danny Jorgensen announced before launching into the band’s penultimate song, “D & D Is Gay (But So Am I So That Tracks) 2.0.”

As the sun set and Newgrounds left the stage, power-pop ensemble Peach Rings showcased their latest single, “Mega Man,” as well as some of their older discography. They closed their first-ever South Carolina performance with a crowd-pleasing cover of Taylor Swift’s “Love Story,” setting a high bar for the final act.

Asheville, North Carolina band Secret Shame proved more than capable of clearing that bar as they closed out the show with their ethereal post-punk sounds reminiscent of Ghost, Kate Bush and Siouxsie and the Banshees. Their haunting but high-energy set, which concluded with the anthemic “Zero,” reaffirmed the confidence and pride of the audience.

Several community LGBTQ+ organizations tabled at the event, including Upstate Pride SC, Anderson County LGBTQ+ Community and Clemson’s own LGBTQ+ Alumni Council.