Tigers fall to Orange in last home game of regular season

William Stehn
The Tigers celebrate after a hard-fought goal against the Syracuse Orange on April 13, 2024.

Looking to bounce back from a tough loss to No. 3 Boston College in their last game, the Lady Tigers ultimately fell short by a score of 15-6 to No. 2 Syracuse on Saturday afternoon.

Knowing their competition was yet to face defeat in conference play this season, Clemson’s women’s lacrosse team went into today’s game ready for a difficult match. However, an early hot start for Syracuse put the team in control over the Tigers, adding to their total throughout the game to hand Clemson its sixth loss in ACC play this season.

The match wrapped up home play for this 2024 season and was followed by a Senior Day ceremony to honor their 12 graduates after the contest.

The Orange (12-3, 8-0 ACC) came into Tiger territory with an eight-game win streak.
Kicking off the game with draw control by Clemson’s Natalie Shurtleff, the Tigers (9-6, 2-6 ACC) held off the Orange for just the first five minutes of the quarter before Syracuse scored the game’s first goal.

Not long after, attack Claire Bockstie scored her 37th goal of the season, tying the match at 1-1. Despite that, the first quarter ended with five more Syracuse goals in the last four minutes, leaving the Tigers in a 6-1 drought headed into the second quarter.

The Tigers headed into the second quarter ready to fight back but immediately faced intense competition from the Orange offense, with two goals scored back to back in the first 30 seconds.

With work to do, Shurtleff took two unsuccessful shots before Tigers Caitlin McElwee and Blair Byrne were each able to sink one in the net of their opponent’s goal, making the score 9-3. The Orange added more before the end of the second.

The Tigers were able to strike within the first 10 seconds of the third quarter, gaining back some of their confidence. Nonetheless, Syracuse continued to respond, sinking two back-to-back shots within two minutes.

Five goals were scored in the final quarter of this Orange vs. Orange battle, but only two belonged to the Tigers. Freshman Jasmine Stanton was able to put one behind Syracuse goaltender Delaney Sweitzer, a Preseason All-American, just two minutes into the quarter. Sara Palmisano would score another in the final minutes of the game.

Despite fighting hard for 60 minutes, Clemson ultimately ended their game with a nine-goal defeat.

Twelve seniors were honored for their time and commitment to the Clemson women’s lacrosse team, with Palmisano, Bella Karstien, Katie Castiello, Ariana Kline, Nakeeya McCardell, Kerri Thornton, Shannon Brazier, Emma Tilson, Hanna Hilcoff, Krissy Kowalski and Bockstie being recognized.

While the 2024 season might be coming to a close, the Tigers have one final game on Thursday against the University of Pittsburgh, where they hope to improve their ACC record.

View Comments (1)