Next stop: Nationals

Instagram
The Clemson women’s club lacrosse team made history by achieving its first-ever second-place finish.

This past weekend, the Clemson women’s club lacrosse team placed second in the South Eastern Women’s Lacrosse League playoffs in Panama City Beach, Florida. Their performance displayed skill and defied their 9-5 regular season record.

Clemson faced Auburn for their first game of the weekend on Friday. Clemson showed dominance on the offensive front with a 15-6 lead, spearheaded by senior Lauren Paolozzi, whose five goals were a team-high.

The next day, Clemson faced No. 1 Georgia, who they had previously lost to during the regular season with a final score of 12-6. Luckily, their momentum continued, and the Tigers secured an upset by achieving a hard-fought 12-10 victory over the undefeated Bulldogs in the semifinals.

Paolozzi was again instrumental, contributing two goals to the win that further established her role as a key player and leader. Junior Makenzie Kowitz and sophomore Grace Iervolino also contributed strong offense performances with a combined five goals.

To finish out the weekend, Clemson proceeded to the SWLL championship to face the University of Florida. The 13-1 Gators fought hard, ultimately taking the Tigers down by a final score of 10-7.

Despite the loss, the team made its mark in Clemson’s history by achieving its first-ever second-place finish.

Next, the team prepares to travel to Wichita, Kansas, for nationals starting on May 7. With their recent success in the playoffs, the Tigers are geared up and ready for their final games of the season.

Thanks to the strength of their cohesive teamwork, the club finds itself equipped to fight for a victory.