Soil for sale at the Earth Day Market

Mercedes Dubberly
Sweet, smooth, raw and reasonably priced, local honey is a fantastic treat, and it exists in droves at the Vdovichenko Bee Farm.

On this past Friday’s beautiful spring morning, the Clemson EcoReps Earth Day Farmer’s Market took place from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The hot summer weather did not deter shoppers and students looking for neat finds and interesting conversation. While one vendor was selling permanent jewelry, another had secondhand, affordable clothing with custom embroidered designs and hand-drawn portraits. Fresh vegetables were all around, and a friendly energy was in the air.

One of the booths, Ridgely and Eddies Plant + Egg, sold farm fresh eggs as well as young tomato plants, flower buds and all sorts of other fantastic horticultural interests. For those even more green-thumbed, there was Infinite Seeds Academy. Zay, owner of Infinite Seeds Academy, was handing out helpful information like all sorts of gardening tips and strategies.

For those who may struggle with gardening, marigold seed packets were on sale, as well as grow kits with pots and soil to grow the seeds with no other needed supplies. Any aspiring home gardener or college student with a balcony, patio or a plan need look no further.

What better way to celebrate Earth Day than with bees from Vdovichenko Bee Farm? David Vdovichenko, a fourth-generation bee farmer, still uses the methods his family brought over from Uzbekistan.

The Vdovichenkos collect their honey without using bee suits or protection of any kind. While the stings hurt, the whipped honey makes it all worth it. Sweet, smooth, raw and reasonably priced, local honey is a fantastic treat, and it exists in droves at the Vdovichenko Bee Farm. Molded beeswax candles and crocheted plush bee toys were also on display and offered at great prices.

Javin Goodine, who makes and sells vegan honey, also made an appearance at the market. As a part of his Master of Food Science from Clemson, Javin developed a vegan alternative to traditional honey made from fruit products. Lots of different flavors are available for sale, however, Javin only had a handful on the stand left after a few hours, as everyone wanted a jar.

Business was booming all day long and there was no lack of interest from Clemson students and locals for more natural products. Next time Clemson EcoReps holds an event, be sure to attend. You might just see something you never knew you needed.