Meet Clemson’s Leadership

Katie Bradham, Senior Videographer
Sikes Hall, the University administration building.

This year’s Orientation Guide featured letters from noteworthy leaders at and around Clemson. Find the letters from each individual below.

Letters from the Executive Leadership Team

Clemson University President — Jim Clements

I am excited to welcome you to Clemson University where you will have an amazing experience and make lifelong memories with new friends. We received more than 61,500 applications for the Class of 2028, and I am so glad you are here!

You are about to begin your academic journey at one of the best public research universities in the country where you will learn from our world-class faculty and engage with our dedicated staff. We are all focused on providing the #1 student experience, so I encourage you to take advantage of the many opportunities available to you. Interact with your classmates, get to know your professors, go to class and ask questions, learn about all of the resources available to you, join a social organization, connect with Clemson through social media, attend sporting events and­—most importantly—support each other as fellow Tigers.

While some weeks and months may seem long, the years will go by fast. Before you know it, I will be presenting you with your class ring and then shaking your hand at graduation.

You are a valued member of the Clemson Family and the greater Clemson Community, so wear the Tiger Paw with pride knowing that you are the newest keepers of our values and traditions.

I look forward to seeing you at New Student Convocation. Until then, enjoy the rest of your summer, and Go Tigers!

(Twitter and Instagram: @ClemsonPrez)

Vice President of Student Affairs — Chris Miller

To the Class of 2028:

On behalf of our team in Student Affairs and the entire Clemson Family, I want to welcome you to the first step of your college journey!

Clemson will challenge you both inside and outside of the classroom, and our team is here to help support your growth and development as you build resilience for an ever-changing world. With more than 28,000 students, this can be a tall task, but we are thoughtful and deliberate in our efforts to create meaningful and enriching experiences for each and every one of you during your time at Clemson.

As you embark on this new chapter, we encourage you to find your community and seek out leadership and service opportunities. With more than 500 student organizations, there is truly something for each of you at Clemson. Our very first introduction to student life is through Welcome Week, a full schedule of programs and activities held annually prior to the start of the academic year. It is designed to make your transition to Clemson a successful one, so take advantage of the many opportunities it provides to engage with each other and with campus!

Consistently ranked among the nation’s best public universities, Clemson is undoubtedly a point of destination—a fact reflected through record application, retention and graduation rates! It has truly been remarkable to see Clemson’s evolution over the past decade. We know you will only add to its storied history and growing legacy.

We are grateful for the trust you have placed in us and are excited for the future we will build together.  We can’t wait to see you soon—Go Tigers!

Sincerely,

Christopher Miller, J.D., Ph.D.

Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students

Director of Athletics — Graham Neff

Dear Clemson Newcomers,

As the Director of Athletics at Clemson University, it is my distinct pleasure to welcome you to the Clemson Family! We are thrilled that you have chosen to join us, and we eagerly look forward to engaging you throughout your journey at Clemson.

Varsity athletics at Clemson is a tradition that goes back nearly 130 years overall, and the 2024-25 academic year will mark the 50th season of varsity women’s athletics at Clemson—a milestone you’ll see and hear throughout the year.

We are dedicated to our mission to enhance the student experience for all students at Clemson University. We know that a thriving athletics program helps create a tremendous campus atmosphere.

Our athletic events provide a unique opportunity to showcase our collective spirit, unity and pride. They offer us a chance to cheer on our dedicated student-athletes, experience unforgettable moments and create lasting memories. The energy and enthusiasm you bring to our stadiums, fields, and arenas make a significant impact and contribute directly to our teams’ performances.

As Clemson students, you have the privilege of attending regular-season home athletic events for free. This is an excellent opportunity to demonstrate your Tiger pride, build community and enjoy some of the nation’s best collegiate sports competition.

Clemson is a place where students not only receive an exceptional education but also have the opportunity to support an athletics program that is recognized nationwide. Our teams, across all sports, are known for their commitment to excellence, discipline, teamwork and leadership—qualities we believe align with the values of Clemson University.

The past year has been marked by outstanding achievements on and off the field. Some of the highlights include:

• The Men’s Soccer program won the ACC and its second National Championship in three seasons and fourth overall. The National Player of the Year was a Tiger — Ousmane Sylla.
  • Four “Elite Eight” programs in the most recent season, the most since 1979-80 (Men’s Basketball, Men’s Soccer, Women’s Soccer, Women’s Golf).
  • Postseason appearances from football, men’s soccer, women’s soccer, men’s basketball, gymnastics, softball, baseball, men’s golf, women’s golf and track and field.
  • Our Gymnastics program competed in its inaugural season, making the NCAA Championships in their first year.
  • Clemson ranked in the top 15 nationally in attendance in six sports—football, lacrosse, gymnastics, men’s soccer, baseball and softball.
  • Valerie Cagle became the first woman from Clemson in any sport to be drafted No. 1 overall.

In the spirit of creating the best environment possible, I urge each of you to uphold the highest standards of sportsmanship and class. Our passion should always be displayed in a respectful manner that honors our opponents, officials and fellow fans. Our conduct reflects not only on ourselves but on the entire Clemson community.

Remember, we are not just spectators, but ambassadors of our University. Clemson is not only known for excellence in academics and athletics but also in character and respect.

We can’t wait to see what you bring to our venues.

Together, we can make the Clemson experience unforgettable for everyone involved.

To get the latest information on our programs, download the ClemsonTigers app to receive all the information you need on our 21 programs and upcoming student events and promotions.

We hope you’ll also consider joining the IPTAY Collegiate Club, one of the most engaged student groups in the nation. The membership includes benefits that include a football ticket benefit, access to Clemson+, priority points upon graduation and more.

Thank you for your support, and welcome to Clemson! I look forward to seeing you at our upcoming athletic events. Go Tigers!

Letters from the Deans

Dean of the College of Behavioral, Social and Health Sciences — Leslie Hossfeld

Welcome to Clemson, Class of 2028! Congratulations on taking the next step in your academic journey—and for the hard work and achievements that brought you to this moment. I look forward to the role the College of Behavioral, Social and Health Sciences will play in your Clemson Experience.

Over the next four years, you will be held to a standard of academic excellence, challenged and encouraged to step out of your comfort zones, but you will also grow in unimaginable ways. You will have the opportunity to expand your knowledge through engaged learning experiences, explore new interests and build connections to last a lifetime.

Your success is our top priority, and I encourage you to develop meaningful relationships with the University’s outstanding faculty, staff and students. They will add value to your experience and provide helpful mentorship and guidance as you pursue your passions.

Many of you will take courses in CBSHS during your time at Clemson, and I am delighted for the opportunity to further our mission to build people and communities together.

Best of luck—and go Tigers!

Dean of the Wilbur O. and Ann Powers College of Business — Wendy York

We are excited to welcome you to the Clemson Family. As you embark on this next part of your academic career, I encourage you to embrace the opportunities that lie ahead and take advantage of the resources available to you. Both Clemson and the Wilbur O. and Ann Powers College of Business have remarkable, dedicated faculty and staff that will ensure you are supported during your academic journey. The Clemson Experience is unique and will help you grow as a person as you engage with other students and the professional and academic opportunities offered at Clemson. Your time here will be filled with new experiences, memories and connections that will last a lifetime and propel you to success in your future careers. You have made the best choice to become a Tiger, and I look forward to seeing how you thrive here.

Dean of the College of Engineering, Computing and Applied Sciences —Anand Gramopadhye

Welcome to Clemson University! As the Dean of the College of Engineering, Computing and Applied Sciences, it is my pleasure to greet you as you launch into this transformative new chapter of your lives. All of us in the college are thrilled to have you join the Clemson Family.

At Clemson, you will encounter numerous opportunities to grow academically, personally and professionally. Our college is dedicated to fostering an environment where you can explore innovative ideas, engage in cutting-edge research and collaborate on projects that address some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Whether you are interested in engineering better medicines, designing the perfect car or creating exoskeletons of the future, we are here to support you every step of the way.

During your time here, I encourage you to immerse yourself fully in the Clemson experience. Network with friends and faculty, participate in a variety of activities and take courses that ignite your passion. The connections you make, and the experiences you have could ripple through your life and shape your future in profound ways. Remember, advisors, faculty, staff and mentors wish the best for you and are available to guide and support you, so reach out for advice and assistance.

Engineering, computing and applied sciences come with a grand responsibility. As engineers and scientists, you will play a crucial role in shaping the future and solving global challenges.

As you pursue your studies, keep in mind that while we celebrate technological advancements and scientific achievements, we must also recognize the importance of addressing fundamental human needs. Ensuring the globe has access to basics, such as clean water, electricity, food and medicine, are challenges that still require our attention and innovation. Your time at Clemson will prepare you to tackle these issues with creativity and compassion, contributing to a better world for all.

This is just the beginning of a transformative journey. Study hard, make good choices, take pride in your accomplishments, and most importantly, enjoy your time at Clemson. You will make friends and build relationships during these years that will last a lifetime.

The world is yours, and we are excited to see all the ways you will make it better for future generations.

Go Tigers!

Dean of the College of Science — Cynthia Young

A very special welcome to our new students, those of you embarking on your Clemson journey. On behalf of all our faculty, staff, students and alumni, we welcome you to the Clemson University College of Science!

We look forward to helping you learn and grow by supporting you with world-class faculty who are tackling the big scientific challenges of tomorrow and preparing you—the next generation of scientific thought leaders—to improve lives.

I encourage you to get involved in the opportunities the College has to offer. Participate in a cutting-edge research project. Intern with one of our industry partners. Invent something for the Catalyst Competition (think “Shark Tank”). Study abroad and expand your worldview. Connect with peers through COSMIC, our award-winning peer-mentoring program, or share your perspective in SCISAB, my student advisory board.

Whatever path you choose, the College of Science is ready to help you get there. A few years from now, you’ll cross the stage and receive the degree you worked hard to earn. As you turn and reflect back on your time at Clemson, I hope that you’ll LOVE the view.

Welcome to the Clemson Family! Go Tigers!

Dean of the College of Arts and Humanities — Nicholas Vazsonyi

Dear Incoming Class of 2028:

Welcome to the College of Arts and Humanities, where our motto is “meet the world.” That is what we wish for you during your time with us. We encourage you to travel abroad at some point during your studies, and we also try to bring the world to campus. Many of our faculty come from Ivy League and other top-flight graduate schools and have become internationally recognized scholars. We bring artists from around the globe to perform at the Brooks Center, and we are this year launching Clemson’s first international living-learning center, Passport, to foster language learning and cultural interaction. If you have musical talents, please come join one of our choirs or instrumental groups, or even Tiger Band. It’s a chance to express yourself and connect with fellow students outside your major. Also, be sure to make space in your course schedule for classes in the humanities—such as literature, languages, history or philosophy—that will help you learn not only how to thrive in your career but to examine how you intend to live your life and make a positive difference in the world.

Dean of the College of Education — Kristin Gehsmann

To the Class of 2028,

You’ve been accepted to Clemson University, so it goes without saying that you are outstanding students. Regardless of the major you pursue, you understand the importance of education, and I would be willing to bet that you’ve enjoyed the guidance of several influential educators throughout your life. Prepare to encounter even more in one of the best higher education environments in the world.

You’ll spend the next several years learning from our world-class faculty, engaging in experiential learning and enjoying the many extracurricular activities Clemson has to offer, including those amazing Death Valley Saturdays in the fall. As you progress through your studies at Clemson, we hope you will keep in mind that education has been and continues to be a powerful, life-changing force in your life.

From my position as dean of the College of Education, I always stress just how important our faculty and students are — they are at the heart of the mission of our College and University. Through our College’s various courses, majors and minors, we equip our students to better the lives of children, families and youth through education and allied fields. Our alumni quickly become vital parts of what makes our state and nation great, and they make a positive impact in people’s lives each and every day. If you feel called to make a difference in your community and the world, I hope you’ll check out the opportunities available for you in the College of Education. Education, after all, is why you are here!

Class of 2028, I am so excited to welcome you to Clemson University.  I can’t wait to see what’s ahead for you and all the ways you’ll contribute to our vibrant community.

Go Tigers!

Interim Dean of the College of Architecture, Art and Construction — George Petersen

Welcome Tigers!

Welcome to Clemson University—home of the Tigers, and now, your new home away from home! Get ready to embark on an incredible journey filled with opportunities for growth, learning and unforgettable experiences. Ready, set, roar!

As you settle into life at Clemson, remember that you’re not just a student—you’re a valued member of our Clemson Family. Our faculty, staff, and fellow students are here to support you every step of the way, whether you need guidance in the classroom or a friendly face to share in your triumphs.

Take advantage of the multitude of resources and opportunities available to you, from academic advising and research opportunities to student organizations and community service initiatives. Your time here is what you make of it, so seize every moment and embrace the journey ahead.

Class of 2028, your Clemson experience awaits, and we couldn’t be more excited to welcome you into the Clemson family. Get ready to roar with pride as you embark on this new chapter of your academic and personal growth.

With warmest regards, and Go Tigers!

Interim Dean of the College of Agriculture, Forestry and Life Sciences — Greg Yarrow

Welcome new Tigers,

You are officially beginning your journey as a Clemson student. We are delighted you’ve chosen to spend your college career with us.

Clemson University is a large place, but your college will give you a community where you can connect with other students, both inside and outside the classroom. You also will build relationships with staff and faculty who are here to help you succeed.

Our students and alumni often remark that the sense of belonging in the College of Agriculture, Forestry and Life Sciences is one of the things that means the most to them, and the connections you make here will continue for many years to come.

No doubt you are excited, and maybe even a little nervous. I hope you’ll embrace all Clemson has to offer — and I challenge you to leave a mark during your time here.

Sincerely,

Greg Yarrow

Dean of Libraries — Christopher Cox

On behalf of Clemson Libraries, welcome to Clemson! As you get to know your way around campus, I hope you take some time to visit the R.M. Cooper Library and learn more about the resources and services we provide to help you succeed.

In addition to Cooper Library, did you know we have five other branch libraries available to serve you? Our other locations are the Gunnin Architecture Library in Lee Hall, the Education Media Center in Tillman Hall, Special Collections and Archives in the Strom Thurmond Institute and branch libraries at the CU-ICAR campus in Greenville and the Charleston Design Center.

Our collections and online resources are available to you 24/7 on our website (libraries.clemson.edu), and our dedicated team of research librarians is happy to help you find what you need, learn how to conduct and cite research, visualize data and more. We have more than 3 million physical and electronic items in our collections, from books to journal articles to presentations and papers, and if we don’t have what you are looking for, chances are we can get it for you through Inter-library Loan. Want to save money on textbooks? We have those, too, with a collection of nearly 100 commonly used textbooks that you can check out for free. We also have a collection of more than 400 technology items available for checkout, such as cameras, recording equipment, tripods and more, and our Adobe Studio and Makerspace (on the fifth floor of Cooper) has the expertise and the equipment to help you make all of your creative projects a reality.

Students have voted Cooper Library as the No. 1 study spot on campus for many years running. Whether you prefer the silence of the first floor or need a space for a group meeting, we have you covered—and we even have a Starbucks! Your academic success is our top priority, so please do not hesitate to ask questions and seek help—that’s why we’re here!

I wish you the best of luck as you begin your Clemson journey, and I hope that we see you in one of our libraries soon!

Dean of the Honors College — Sarah Winslow

Welcome to Clemson for those just starting their journeys as Tigers, and welcome back to all our returning students! And to our Honors College students, I look forward to meeting and greeting you at the many upcoming welcome events and around the Honors Center throughout this academic year.

As a Clemson student there is no shortage of opportunities to get involved, both on and off campus. Use your time here to explore—new ideas, different perspectives and what inspires you. But also, take your time. Perhaps start with a few involvements and build from there once you have a more solid understanding of your academic commitments and have identified the time management strategies that will work best for you. I also encourage you to consider what experiences might benefit you most outside your degree. You may find yourself discovering a new interest or career path you didn’t know existed. And don’t forget that it’s OK to forego an opportunity or change course. Finding out what you don’t want to do is as important as discovering what you do want to do!

Most importantly, I encourage you to focus on your well-being. Find a community of supportive peers, make time for activities you enjoy and don’t lose sight of the fundamentals like eating well and sleeping enough.

If you are not a member of the Honors College, there are opportunities to apply as a current student, so you can also benefit from the vibrant community, smaller class sizes, interdisciplinary learning options, research and travel grants and mentorship and professional development opportunities available only to Honors students. Visit our website for details.

Best wishes for a strong start to the year. I hope the coming months challenge and inspire you.

Letter from the City of Clemson

Mayor of the City of Clemson — Robert Halfacre

Welcome to Clemson!

Orientation marks your first step into the Clemson family. We’re so excited to have you here, and I hope you’re every bit as excited to embark on this journey. Remember, no matter where you start out, the Tiger Paws lead all of us back home to Clemson.

As you familiarize yourself with campus, you’ll find incredible opportunities and you’ll see changes and improvements everywhere. The same is true for our city! There is an enormous amount of activity and so much “good” happening around town. I do hope you’ll notice. Here are just a few things you can look out for now and when you return in the fall:

Recreation: Our parks will be getting a number of upgrades, including the addition of pickleball courts at Nettles Park (a partnership with the University) and improvements at Abernathy Park. We’re also working towards Clemson Park upgrades to include a splash pad and a skate park. We will also be continuing construction on the Green Crescent Trail. A more walkable, bike-friendly Clemson is on its way!

Arts/Culture: The Clemson Area African American Museum completed a successful Juneteenth celebration in collaboration with the City of Seneca and Clemson University and is preparing for an eventful fall, including the Sincerely, Daniel exhibit, highlighting African American athletes at Daniel High School through the years. The Arts Center just completed a summer of art camps and are now into their scheduled fall classes. Pumpkinpalooza will be back this year, bigger and better than ever. We’re also excited to install more public art in the coming months!

Traffic: We have partnered with Clemson University, the Greenville-Pickens Area Transportation Study and several surrounding counties to complete a Regional Traffic Study with a final goal of improving our transportation systems.

Youth Sports: We love cheering for our Clemson Tigers, but we have many other championship teams in town! Just this year, our 8U, 14U and 17U boys basketball and 12U girls basketball teams brought home the South Carolina State Championship. Additionally, the Daniel High Lions brought home state championship titles in Boys Soccer, Football and Marching Band!

Orientation is a busy time, but I hope you will take a few moments to explore the City. Then, when you move in this fall, definitely spare a few afternoons to see what the City has to offer. As you do so, I also ask you to practice good stewardship of these amenities and respect for your surroundings as well as all of the families who call this place “home” 12 months of the year. It is all of our responsibility to take care of our city and the people who live, work and play here.

Most of all, be safe, Tigers, and best of luck this school year!

Go Tigers!