The 411 on 1010s: Clemson’s best gen eds

Sydney Lykins // Clemson University
Gen eds help to provide a more well-rounded education for each student and also allow them to explore other areas of interest.

Preparing for freshman year may feel like a constant barrage of checklists: a list of dorm necessities, a list of potential clubs to join, a list of student traditions to complete. Although many of those lists revolve around the social scene of attending a university, perhaps the most important kind concerns academics.

The planning and choosing of classes is an inevitably frustrating process as you are presented with dozens of options covering hundreds of possible topics. With some students entering undecided in their majors and others simply wanting to explore all their options, general education courses give students the freedom to explore what Clemson has to offer.

With classes open to all majors and spanning all fields of study, general education requirements help to provide a more well-rounded education for each student and also allow them to explore other areas of interest.

Below, The Tiger has rounded up a few of the best general education classes to take at Clemson:

Sociology 2010 with Andrew Mannheimer: Professor Mannheimer is a known figure around campus thanks to his passion for sociology as well as his unique ability to rap. His introductory sociology course is beloved by thousands of students thanks to his dedication to class engagement as well as his robust knowledge of the sociology field.

Astronomy 1010 with David Connick: Connick is a must-have for a natural science gen ed, as he provides students with a general understanding of astronomy without giving them too much of a headache than can come with mathematics and physics subjects.

Science and Technology in Society with Professor Phillip Randall: Although studying science, technology and their related history may not be everyone’s idea of a fun college course, Professor Randall relays the material with an enthusiasm that actually enthralls students.

Biology 1030 with Chandler Goldman: With stellar reviews from a multitude of students, Goldman’s teaching has made a positive impression on Clemson’s student body while teaching a versatile subject.

Though there are dozens of general education classes to fit anyone and everyone’s liking, the few listed above have proven to be most popular among students. If you find yourself anxious about which instructor or time slot to take, always remember Rate My Professor is your best friend!