AGR being investigated on allegations of a new member ‘chemical burn’ and hazing

Matt Mynes // Photo Editor

Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity house, located at 113 Calhoun Street and home to numerous AGR brothers.

Clemson’s chapter of Alpha Gamma Rho is being investigated for hazing earlier this month involving a “chemical burn” of new members. 
The University received a complaint that said new members of AGR were hazed with line-ups, sleep deprivation, personal servitude and “some sort of ‘chemical burn,’” according to a letter the University sent to the chapter obtained through a public records request.
The direct source of the burn is unknown, but information suggests it involves some salt-type material or combination of materials, the letter says.
The hazing allegedly occurred several days before April 6 in the basement of AGR’s house on Calhoun Street, according to the letter. 
“Because of the seriousness and uncertainty of the current report associated with Alpha Gamma Rho, interim suspension for the organization is necessary,” Kris Hodge, director of the Office of Community and Ethical Standards, wrote in the letter to AGR. 
Hodge emphasized that the group must suspend all chapter activities during the investigation, including meetings, social activities and chapter business.
Two spokespeople for the University did not respond to requests for comment by press time Tuesday.
Earlier this month, the fraternity’s national office said it was aware of the situation and cooperating with the University.
University selects former prosecutor as investigator 
To investigate the case, Clemson has selected former prosecutor Judy Munson. Munson spent 29 years at the 13th Circuit Solicitor’s Office in Greenville until her retirement in 2021. She handled 23 murder/death case convictions and spent many years in the Domestic Violence Unit fighting for victims of domestic abuse, according to current solicitor Walt Wilkins.
The University generally completes investigations and decides the case within 75 days of receiving a complaint unless the chapter appeals, according to the letter. This would place the end of the investigation as being around June 21.
Possible sanctions for the chapter include reprimand, in-kind restitution, no contact orders, restriction of privileges, disciplinary probation, eviction from University housing, suspension or dismissal, Hodge wrote in the letter.
Clemson publicizes all Student Code of Conduct violations by student organizations at least 45 days before the beginning of each fall and spring semester in compliance with the South Carolina Tucker Hipps Transparency Act.