CUSG passes support to reclassify the CSA as an IC

Matt Mynes // Photo Editor

Senators participate in a student government meeting. 

The Club Sports Association has gained the support of the Student Senate in its effort to become an Independent Council.

“Currently, club sports are under supported by the University which is creating undue stress for club sport teams leaders and the teams themselves,” Student Sen. Zarrilli, one of the recommendation’s authors, stated. “I worry that without increased support from the University, the club sports presence and excellence may begin to diminish.”

The recommendation vouches for CSA to function similar to a Greek council, allowing them to create a better relationship with administration and better organize themselves within Clemson, according to Zarrilli.

The body recommended that CSA become an Independent Council and be allocated a full-time staff member within the Center for Student Leadership and Engagement that is dedicated to supporting club sports at Clemson. 

“He (CSA president) just wants some support from the actual student body,”  Zarrilli said. “He is basically doing the job of the staff member currently, but there is no guarantee that someone like him can take that position over in the future, putting club sports in a precarious and vulnerable position of possibly not having an advocate in the future; they need more structure and support.”

The proposal comes as a result of a presentation that Walker Mullin, the CSA president, gave during a CUSG meeting earlier this semester when he voiced the need for a change within the realm of club sports. Following an alteration to Clemson’s ISO policy in 2019, and the University’s decision not to rehire a faculty advisor for CSA last year, the organization has been pleading for administrative support. 

“It shouldn’t be the job of the students to take on insurance policies; they just want some University support,” Student Sen. Smith added. 

The recommendation, SRE 14, was authored by six student senators, including Fogle, Simmons, Frazier, Zarrilli, Smith and Castellani, and was approved by the body last month.