Best Fraternity: Alpha Gamma Rho

House of Alpha Gamma Rho on Calhoun Street Provided by AGR

Look no further than the Beta Zeta Chapter of Alpha Gamma Rho for the best fraternity in Greek life on Clemson’s campus. 

Founded in 1904, AGR joined Clemson in 1974 as the only chapter in South Carolina at the time and remains the only AGR chapter in the state, according to the Clemson Interfraternity Council.  

Despite its reputation as an agricultural-focused fraternity, AGR welcomes brothers of all majors and backgrounds, and the Clemson chapter currently holds over 60 active members. 

Alpha Gamma Rho prides itself on its philanthropy, the Calvary Boys Home, where they assist with bird cleaning at the Home’s pheasant shoot. They also emphasize the aspect of brotherhood and support of one another, something Bryson Shealy, who has been a brother since he was a freshman, doesn’t take for granted.

“Our values cover a lot of areas but the foundation starts at just being genuine,” Shealy said.

“I take pride in knowing all of these guys have met my family,” Shealy added. “I wouldn’t trade being a part of this distinguished group for anything. It has truly made me a better man.” 

The members of the chapter pride themselves especially on interfraternity excellence, hosting a dinner each semester to celebrate each brother who achieved a 3.5 GPA or above in efforts to promote academic success. 

In Spring 2020, Alpha Gamma Rho won the Clemson Fraternity and Sorority Life Alumni Development Award. 

“Alumni helped build this foundation and the guys here now want to build up that,” Shealy said. “We constantly try to grow and with so many guys helping you do that, you really notice a difference over the years.”

As active members of the community, Clemson’s AGR chapter has also won the Homecoming float competition in each of the past four years. 

If you’re interested in joining Alpha Gamma Rho, please contact President Garrett Ulmer or Rush Chair Davis Cromer. More information about the fraternity can be found on Clemson’s Interfraternity Council website.

Instagram: @agrclemson

Twitter: @Clemson_AGR

TigerQuest: Alpha Gamma Rho