BikeShare program coming to Clemson soon

Following spring break, Clemson University intends to implement a program called BikeShare, which is aimed at giving students the opportunity to rent bikes to ride on campus.
Jacob McMeekin, Transportation and Faculties Chairman for CUSG, says that for the first two hours, renting a bike will be free.
“You’ll have the opportunity to take the bike … about anywhere you want to go,” McMeekin said.      
Around campus, there will be docking stations where students can return the rented bikes.
“We will have five different locations: one at Fike, one at Hendrix, one near the Student Union, one out near Watt and one out near Sikes Hall.”
“It’s an opportunity for students, especially residential students, to get across campus a little bit faster and less traditionally.” Students wishing to rent bikes must first pay a five dollar fee to Parking and Transportation Services. Once the fee has been paid, students will be given a small card which will allow them to rent bikes whenever they want to.
“The primary focus [for the bikes] is going to be on residential students [but] they’re open to all students.”
The bikes will only be available at the locations around campus, serving as a test run for later implementation in areas outside of campus.
“We’re hoping to, over the years, if we see success, to maybe implement them in the parking lots so commuter students can get from the parking lot to campus,” McMeekin said.
The university is getting the bikes from B-cycle, according to McMeekin: “They’re actually the same company that runs the bike share program in Greenville. So your membership [at Clemson] will also give you access to the Greenville bike share.”
CUSG is close to implementing BikeShare, but the program has been in the works for some time.
“Really it got started with Will Richter about two years ago.”
Richter, a cycling enthusiast and the one who spearheaded the program, was the transportation and facilities chairman before McMeekin.
“I think the big focus is looking into alternative transportation. With such a high demand for parking on campus and such limited room you’re always looking for other ways to get around, and biking is such a great option.”
McMeekin said that the city of Clemson has been looking at trying to get students who live close to campus, within a mile, to bike to campus instead of driving a car. McMeekin also said that, “We’re trying to work on that mindset that you don’t have to have a car to get around.”