Clemson men’s basketball defeats NC State at home 78-74

After losing five out of their last six games by six points or less, the Clemson Tigers (15-14, 5-12) finally came out on top in a close matchup, defeating the North Carolina (NC) State Wolfpack (15-16, 4-14) 78-74 at home on Wednesday night.

A total team effort, the Tigers’ win came via offensive efficiency, as five Clemson players scored in double digits. Shooting 47 percent from the field, Clemson performed well with the ball in its possession and also produced on the defensive end, limiting star NC State guard Dennis Smith, Jr., to 13 points in his full 40 minutes of court time.

Forward Jaron Blossomgame led the way for the Tigers with 16 points and eight rebounds. He also hit what was ultimately the game-winning shot with 1:27 remaining, draining a three-pointer to answer the one that Smith, Jr., had just made to provide the Tigers with a 75-72 lead that they never relinquished.      

With the game iced by two clutch Blossomgame free throws in the final seconds, the Tigers garnered a key victory to right the ship and improve their chances of making it into the NCAA Tournament.

Clemson center Sidy Djitte continued his recent solid play on the night, hauling in nine rebounds to go with his 12 points. Also, guard Gabe DeVoe had his best game in quite some time, making two three-pointers and creating plays for the Tigers off of the bench. Clemson floor general Shelton Mitchell was stellar as well, shooting 7-10 (70 percent) from the floor and dropping 16 points.
The Tigers will close out their regular season at home on Saturday afternoon versus the Boston College Eagles (9-21, 2-15). The game will serve as Clemson’s Senior Day, and seniors Blossomgame, Djitte and guard Avry Holmes will be honored prior to the 4 p.m. tipoff.