Clemson graduate student government vice president-elect Aury Kangelos addresses student body

What a time to be a Tiger! I want to begin by expressing my deepest gratitude for being granted the opportunity to serve as the Graduate Student Government (GSG) vice president for the upcoming academic year. I also want to say a special thank you to the graduate students I’ve had the privilege of speaking with over the past few months. Your words of support were what kept me moving forward, and I cannot thank you enough. Lastly, but most importantly, I want to send the highest praise to both President Bryant and Vice President Nanney. Having the opportunity to work with them over the past year has been nothing short of inspiring.
As a student body, we find ourselves at a unique juncture in the history of Clemson University. Over the past year, more changes have taken place on this campus than in recent or even distant memory. Not only has the façade and footprint of the campus changed dramatically, but the standing and recognition of this institution has been raised to unfathomable heights throughout the country and across the globe. While the forthcoming growth is ever promising, the challenges that come with this growth and how we meet those challenges will define us for far longer than any new building or trophy.
As graduate students, there is nothing we cannot accomplish with a shared voice and common purpose. To help channel that voice, I will partner with the Senate, Steering Committee and the Executive to update the GSG Strategic Plan. Over the next year, I aim to meet with as many organizations, departments and programs as possible to establish a clear direction for the future. With the right roadmap, I am positive that there is nothing we cannot accomplish.
Next, following up the work from Vice President Nanney, I aim to continue instilling a culture of professionalism within the Senate. I want to ensure that our senators are not only giving of their time, but also leave this experience better people and better professionals. Part of reaching this goal is incorporating both leadership and professional development training into every Senate session.
Since you have trusted me with this honor, I promise to ensure a level of accountability worthy of the title of vice president. This is your student government and as such you deserve to know what is happening in those chambers. I will work with the incoming Senate to promote, draft and pass legislation that improves your experience at Clemson University. I ask that you hold me to that promise.
Finally, I look forward to working with President-elect Courtney Allen. Having the opportunity to work with Courtney in the Executive Cabinet over the past year has shown me her resolve and depth of her commitment to the graduate student experience. I have no doubts in her leadership and ability to move the student body in the right direction.
Once again, thank you all for this most humbling of opportunities.
Vice President-elect
Aury S. Kangelos