Clemson to hold open forum for chief of police candidates

CUPD Stock Image
Courtesy of CUPD
CUPD Stock Image

Candidates for Clemson University Chief of Police will visit campus during the next two weeks.

The three candidates, Jami Brothers, Julian Coaxum and Thomas Saccenti, are all vying for the position previously held by Eric Hendricks, who retired last fall after 22 years of service with the Clemson University Police Department (CUPD). Leland “Corky” Miller is currently serving as the interim Chief of Police.

Each open forum will give candidates the opportunity to share their vision for the position and provide additional information on their qualifications and experience. Students, faculty and staff are welcome to attend. The Chief of Police directs all of CUPD’s activities, including, but not limited to, uniform patrol, investigations, education and outreach programs and victim assistance.

About the candidates:

Jami Brothers currently serves as the Operations Captain for CUPD. She joined the department in 2007 as a patrol officer and has served as Operations Captain since Aug. 2015. Before coming to Clemson, Brothers worked at the Anderson County Sheriff’s Office. Brothers holds a B.A. in Psychology from Southern Wesleyan University and a M.A. in Criminology from Indiana State University. Her forum will be held on Tuesday, April 25 from 9-10 a.m. in McKissick Theatre.

Julian Coaxum currently serves as the Chief of Police at Dillard University in New Orleans, a position he has held since January 2016. He has also served as Chief of Police at Savannah State University and has worked at the University of South Carolina Police Department. He holds a B.A. in History from Johnson C. Smith University. Coaxum’s open forum will be on Tuesday, May 2 from 9-10 a.m. in Memorial Auditorium.

Thomas Saccenti currently serves as the Chief of Police at Furman University in Greenville, a position he has held since 2013. Saccenti has previously served as Chief of Police for the Marietta College Police Department and the Pioneer Police Department, both located in Ohio. He holds bachelor’s degrees in Criminal Justice and Psychology from Trine University and a master’s degree in Criminal Justice from the University of Cincinnati. Saccenti is also a candidate for a master’s degree in higher education administration at Upper Iowa University. His open forum will be on Wednesday, May 3 from 1:30-2:30 p.m. in McKissick Theatre.

For more information on each of the candidates, click HERE.

Correction: This article incorrectly referred to Captain Brothers as “he”. Brothers is female and the article has been updated to reflect that.