Clemson to host Women’s Leadership Conference this weekend

On Feb. 18, Clemson will host the 2017 Women’s Leadership Conference from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Hendrix Student Center.
According to the event’s webpage, this annual conference began “with students and staff who were passionate about women’s leadership.” In addition to educating those who attend in women’s leadership, the program is aimed at building “capacity and efficacy in leadership” and hopes to influence students to become heavily engaged in leadership roles.
The Women’s Leadership Conference includes eight events that focus on issues ranging from “Paths to Supporting and Sustaining Feminism” to “Disney’s Influence on the Successful Woman.” Many of the events, such as “Breaking the Glass Ceiling,” are focused heavily on promoting activism and educating attendees about effective leadership and the issues women face today. One particular event, “Paths to Supporting and Sustaining Feminism,” will focus on teaching male attendees “the ways in which [they] can support women in advancing their leadership roles.”
This year, Clemson and the Women’s Leadership Conference are welcoming Kelly Tsai as the key speaker for the event. Tsai is an activist, performance poet and award-winning writer living in Brooklyn. She has performed at more than 600 places all over the world and addressed issues such as gender, domestic violence and urban development. Some of her most notable performances include the White House and a special on HBO.
Tsai is also a very successful director and filmmaker. Her films have appeared at film festivals across the world, including here in the U.S. She has won many awards, including the American Association of University Women’s Woman of Distinction Award, the AmeriCorps Alums National Leader Award and Media that Matters Film Festival War & Peace Award. She was also a finalist at the Sundance Screenwriters Lab and the New York Theater Workshop Emerging Fellows of Color programs.
Students who wish to attend this event are able to register by Feb. 16 online at bit.ly/ClemsonWLC2017.