The Barnes Center, Clemson’s new ‘hangout spot,’ set to open Feb. 18

The new Barnes Center will open on Feb. 18 at the Sheep Barn on Cherry Road, across from the high-rises. It will be a new social spot on campus for students to hang out on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.
Hannah Muldoon, Assistant Director for Student Programs, is confident it will stand out from other hangout spots on campus. Unlike the Student Union or the rooms in the library, the Barnes Center is non-reservable. “Students will always be able to come and have a space,” according to Muldoon.
A few of the things that will be happening at the Barnes Center once it opens include: Karaoke, Game Night, acoustic concerts, various themed events and one reoccurring event called DIY After Dark.
The first few events will be:
• Feb. 18 – Barnes Center Galaxy: Grand Opening
• Feb. 23 – DIY After Dark
• Feb. 24 – MiC Off with CLEMSONLiVE
• Feb. 25 – Arcade All Night
All events start at 10 p.m.
The barn is the oldest surviving and relatively intact structure associated with the original Clemson College Agricultural Department, having been built in 1904. On Jan. 4, 1990, the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In 2014, the barn became the Barnes Center after a gift was given to Clemson University by the Barnes family. It is now finishing up renovation.
The Barnes Center itself is in memory of Frank Barnes, Jr., who passed away in 2012. There will be information on his biography inside the center itself.
If you have any ideas for events at the Barnes Center, contact Hannah Muldoon at [email protected].