Top five things you need to know this week: Nov. 13 edition

Sustainability teach-in to be held this week
Clemson community members are coming together to host a teach-in on disaster recovery in the Caribbean.
The teach-in will take place on Thursday, Nov. 16 from 4-7 p.m. in the Watt Center auditorium and atrium.
Dr. Susan Cutter, Director of the International Center of Excellence on Vulnerability and Resilience will present a keynote from 4-5 p.m.
From 5-6 p.m., there will be a reception and student showcase.
The teach-in will conclude with a Hurricane Maria roundtable from 6-7 p.m. It will feature island residents who will be there to provide narratives for discussion.
Writer’s Harvest to raise donations for local charities
The Clemson community will come together for the annual Writer’s Harvest  on Nov. 14 at 6 p.m. in Lee Hall 2-111.
The Writer’s Harvest is an annual holiday event in which writers and poets across the United States read to benefit charities. At Clemson, the event helps raise donations for Loaves & Fishes and Paw Pantry.
This year, the writers and poets will include faculty members Keith Lee Morris, Caroline Young, Will Stockton and Mike Pulley in addition to this year’s winners of the Writer’s Harvest Student Reader Awards.
To learn more about the event, go to  http://tinyurl.com/yb5kx72q.
Tigers for Babies 5K will be held this weekend
The annual Tigers for Babies 5K will be held on Sunday, Nov. 19 at 2:30 p.m.
The race will raise money for the March of Dimes, which focuses on preventing premature birth, birth defects and infant mortality.
The race will go through campus and will be followed up with a tailgate at Esso Club.
To register for the 5K race, go to www.itsabouttime.run/tigersforbabies.
To get involved with the March of Dimes, email Katherine Peden at [email protected].
Clemson to celebrate Military Appreciation Week
Clemson University will celebrate its rich tradition of military excellence through Military Appreciation Week.
The events include: a Veterans Appreciation Reception for staff, faculty and student veterans on Nov. 14 from 9-11 a.m. at the Military Heritage Plaza; Connecting Veterans to Careers Series: Veteran Alumni panel on Nov. 16 from 5-6:30 p.m. in Tillman 204; and the 4th annual Tigers for the Troops Golf Tournament on Nov. 17 at the Oconee County Country Club.
The Military Appreciation Day football game vs The Citadel will be held on Nov. 18. Before the game, there will be various pieces of military equipment on display on Bowman Field. Veterans will also be honored during the game.
To learn more about the Military Appreciation Week events, go to http://tinyurl.com/yd4fxgsr.
TAPS yearbook to move to quarterly magazine
TAPS, Clemson University’s yearbook, will print its final edition at the end of this academic year.
The yearbook, which has been ongoing since 1908, has seen a steady decline in sales and will move to a quarterly magazine in Fall 2018. The decision was made since physical books were expensive to make in contrast to how many sales they were getting. TAPS decided to make something more cost effective and of more interest to students.
Final editions of TAPS yearbook are on sale now for $85. The quarterly magazine will be free to students, supported by advertising, donations and activity fees.
To learn more about how to get a yearbook this year, as well as the magazine starting next year, see https://tinyurl.com/y755rbsk.