Tigers dominate Cocks in Palmetto Bowl blowout

From start to finish, Clemson controlled all three phases of the game in a 34-10 blowout over rival South Carolina. Quarterback Kelly Bryant finished the game 23-34 for 272 yards and two touchdowns and one interception.  
South Carolina received the ball first, but had trouble moving down the field. Clemson quickly received the ball back, but tried to run a weird play on second down. The offensive line froze after snapping the ball and Bryant was subject to a free rush from the entire line. Milan Richard caught the pass, but well short of the line of scrimmage for a big loss.
Will Spiers punted the ball all the way to the one-yard line. Jake Bentley’s pass was a beautiful throw right to cornerback Ryan Carter who took it easily for a Clemson score with 6:50 left in the first quarter. 
South Carolina’s main defensive strategy was to make Kelly Bryant beat them through the air rather than with his legs. It seemed to be working because Bryant had very little room to run early in the game. His deep ball hasn’t been very good lately and they tried to capitalize on that.
They did stop Bryant’s passes, but they committed enough penalties to sustain the Tigers’ entire effort. An 80-yard drive culminated in a one-yard Tavien Feaster rushing touchdown for a 14-0 lead.
Tee Higgins made his presence known in the second quarter. His 40-yard catch setup Clemson’s third score of the game. Kelly Bryant escaped pressure and fired a strike to Hunter Renfrow. Alex Spence shanked the extra point, though, giving Clemson a 20-0 lead.
Head Coach Dabo Swinney was penalized after the touchdown for unsportsmanlike conduct, but he was advocating for penalizing South Carolina because their students were throwing bottles at his players. 
Not be outdone by Higgins, Renfrow took the first pass from scrimmage 61 yards for a touchdown. A quick screen pass, Renfrow outran multiple Gamecock defenders including spinning past three players converging on him. Clemson went up 27-0. 
With South Carolina reeling, Clemson kept their foot on the pedal after another interception. Corner Trayvon Mullen stumbled, but Bentley underthrew his receiver and Mullen was in perfect position to snatch it away.
Clemson remained in controls as they shut down any semblance of offense that South Carolina had. Clemson did not score after the turnover, but they kept the Gamecocks out of contention anyways. 
Near the end of the third quarter, the Tigers got on another roll and used freshman running back Travis Etienne to punch in the short score for the 34-0 lead. 
A big emphasis for Kelly Bryant was to get the passing game going and he did it in a big way. Clemson outgained South Carolina by 204 yards through the air through three quarters of play. 
Kelly Bryant’s lone mistake came early in the fourth quarter when he overthrew Tee Higgins and was picked off by Keisean Nixon. Bryant managed to bring down Nixon before he reached the redzone, but the Cocks would score anyway. It was something in a night full of nothing. 
Bryant’s night was over with 13 minutes left which gave South Carolina a look at the backup, Hunter Johnson. Johnson stayed conservative, but he took a shot deep and found a Gamecock defender instead. It was basically a punt, but it was Johnson’s first career interception. 
South Carolina scored their first touchdown with just 2:44 left in the ballgame. It was against mostly second-stringers, but Bentley hit Bryan Edwards on a crossing route for the 38-yard score to bring it within three scores.