Men’s soccer impact players

Philip Nixon, staff

Senior Oliver Shannon (4) has four goals and five assists on the season. 

Taking on ACC Tournament action as the fifth-seeded team in a league stacked with superior competition, the No. 9 Clemson Tigers put together some impressive performances. After a dominant regular season in which the Tigers remained in the top 10 of the polls for the majority of the fall, Clemson will aim to return to the College Cup for the second time in three years when NCAA Tournament action begins. Led by several quality players with versatile skillsets, Clemson is one of the top two-way teams in the nation, and the superior talent that it boasts is the primary reason why.

Oliver Shannon: 

Senior midfielder Oliver Shannon is one of the captains for Clemson this season. Fiery, vocal and adept at creating scoring opportunities in the open field, Shannon is the perfect leader for this year’s Clemson team, following suit on head coach Mike Noonan’s philosophy to a tee.

Speaking after Clemson’s first-round win in the ACC Tournament over the Syracuse Orange, Noonan told a reporter when speaking on Shannon, “He’s a competitive warrior. That’s the best way to describe him. When we’re down, he’s better. When we’ve needed someone to step up, Ollie’s been there.”

A shining example of an attacking midfielder, Shannon has consistently wreaked havoc on opposing defenses with his expert passes into the box this year. Physical on defense and never wavering in terms of intensity, Shannon is the heart and soul of the Tigers.

Diego Campos: 

Coming off of a Second-Team All-ACC showing in his junior campaign, senior forward Diego Campos has put together an amazing senior season to follow through on his continuous ascension as a collegian. Far and away the best scorer for the Tigers, Campos has garnered nine goals this season to go along with his equally-impressive eight assists, as Campos is an adept passer, too. 

The offense has revolved around Campos this year in Tiger Town, as his speed, agility and footwork have consistently made him the top goal-scoring threat. 

Dangerous on corner kicks as well as free kicks, Campos should utilize his stellar kicking ability to make his mark at the professional level in the near future.

Patrick Bunk-Andersen

Junior defender Patrick Bunk-Andersen has served as the most reliable defensive presence on the back line for the Tigers this year. Highly physical and aggressive, Bunk-Andersen has used his statuesque frame and solid tackling ability to change the pace of matches several times this season. Like Shannon, Bunk-Andersen is known for creating opportunities for the Tigers in and around the penalty box, something that has paid dividends for Clemson all season long. Many of the Tigers’ goals have come via impactful through balls or crosses into the box this year, and Bunk-Andersen has been a part of several such plays.

Skilled at all three levels on the pitch, as well as between the posts, Clemson boasts one of the more talented rosters in the ACC, if not the nation, and can utilize that diversity of skill to go on yet another magical postseason run.