Four takeaways from the Board of Trustees meeting

1. President Clements receives $100,000 raise:

The board voted unanimously to approve a $100,000 raise for Clemson University President Jim Clements. 

The raise will bring Clements’ total salary to $901,330. $312,530 will be paid by the state of South Carolina; the remainder will be paid by the Clemson University Foundation.

The board also approved $50,000 in deferred compensation for Clements, which will vest in three years if he is still president. 

2. Softball stadium receives initial approval for construction:

The athletics department received Phase I approval for the construction of the new softball stadium. This will enable the department to select an architect and begin the design process.

The softball program was announced as a sport addition in early 2017, and it is on track to begin  competition in the 2019-20 academic year. A search is currently underway for a head coach.

3. New MAT degrees approved:

Four new Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) teacher residency programs in early childhood, elemntary, secondary and middle-level education were approved.

A Bachelor of Science degree for middle-level education was also approved. 

4. Support for new program pricing: 

The board supported the university administration’s request to institute new pricing for six academic programs effective for entering students in fall 2018. 

The affected programs are engineering, nursing, packaging science, food science and human nutrition, design (architecture, landscape architecture, and construction science and management) and computer science. 

The administration says this will allow them to strengthen the quality of undergraduate education.