The Student News Site of Clemson University

The Tiger

The Tiger

The Tiger

Tigers hold off Demon Deacons

The Clemson Tigers defeated Wake Forest 28-14 on Homecoming weekend in Death Valley.
The Tiger offense got rolling early in the game with a 28-yard touchdown pass from Kelly Bryant to Deon Cain only two minutes into the game.
The next offensive drive, the Tigers continued to run the ball at will against the Demon Deacon defense. A 20-yard rush from Travis Etienne set up another touchdown. Adam Choice ran the ball in from four yards out to put the Tigers up 14-0 halfway through the first quarter.
Wake Forest had a chance to get on the board on their ensuing offensive drive. Kendall Hinton found Greg Dortch for a 43-yard catch. After tacking on a 15-yard penalty, the Deacons had the ball at Clemson’s 13-yard line. The Tiger defense held tough and forced a field goal try that was missed wide right, keeping the score at 14-0 in favor of Clemson.
With a little over ten left in the half, Bryant was sacked for an 18-yard loss. After review, it was determined he fumbled the ball and it was recovered by Wake Forest. The Demon Deacons took over on the 40, but were unable to pick up a first down after a crucial holding penalty.
On the last offensive possession of the first half, the Tigers faked a punt on 4th-and-4. Will Spiers passed the ball to Cornell Powell for the first down. However, the Tigers were later forced to punt due to an offensive pass interference call.
Wake Forest took a shot in the end zone as the last seconds ticked off in the first half. The pass fell incomplete and the Tigers took their 14-0 lead to the locker room.
The Tiger defense continued their impressive campaign. Through the first six games, they have only allowed 19 points in the first half.
Coming out of the half, Wake Forest’s offense picked up where it left off. However, they got the ball back after a Bryant interception. That drive set up a field goal attempt for the Deacons, but Mike Weaver missed it again.
The next possession for Bryant and the Tiger offense resulted in a rushing touchdown for Etienne after a big fourth down conversion to Hunter Renfrow. That gave Clemson a 21-0 lead midway through the third quarter.
After that play, Bryant limped off the field and went to the injury tent to have his ankle looked at and Zerrick Cooper entered the game at quarterback for the Tigers.
Bryant was 21-29 for 200 yards and one touchdown. He also rushed 12 times for 39 yards.
Cooper struggled to get in a rhythm and went 2-6 for 16 yards.
After two drives, Hunter Johnson entered the game at quarterback.
On his first drive, he marched the Clemson offense down the field and capped the series off with a 13-yard strike to Cannon Smith. It was his first touchdown pass and Smith’s first touchdown reception.
Wake Forest finally got on the board in the fourth quarter with a 16-yard pass to Scotty Washington, cutting Clemson’s lead to 28-7.
With a little over two minutes to play, the Demon Deacons scored another touchdown to further chip away at the Tigers’ lead, making it 28-14.
Wake Forest’s onside kick attempt failed, as it was recovered by Tee Higgins for the Tigers.
Johnson went 5-5 for 42 yards and one touchdown.
Hinton was 14-30 for 203 yards and two touchdowns. Wake Forest runners rushed for 133 total yards.
Clemson travels to Syracuse to take on the Orange Friday at 7 p.m.

Leave a Comment
Donate to The Tiger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Clemson University . Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

More to Discover
Donate to The Tiger

Comments (0)

All The Tiger Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *