Clemson student government attempts to impeach VP Stewart, motion fails

UPDATE (10/10/17 – 11 a.m.): Article has been updated to add in a comment from Stewart, along with other information.

UPDATE (10/10/17 – 1:30 p.m.): Article has been updated to add in response from Senator Miller Hoffman.

UPDATE (10/10/17 – 8:50 p.m.): Article has been updated to add more information.

UPDATE (10/11/17 – 6:40 p.m.): After being informed of a procedural error within the Senate vote, The Tiger has written a story reflecting this new information.
After an attempt to pass a motion potentially impeaching CUSG Vice President Jaren Stewart, CUSG senators ultimately struck down the motion.

Senator Miller Hoffman filed the motion for Stewart’s impeachment.

Stewart was recently placed in the spotlight after not standing for the Pledge of Allegiance two weeks prior. Allegations made against Stewart in regards to his time as an RA last academic year surfaced from several media outlets last week. At the senate meeting, Stewart claimed that he was adjudicated. According to a spokesperson, Clemson University was unable to confirm or deny the validity of a document in relation to the allegations. 

On Tuesday, Senator Hoffman said that he believed his concerns regarding Stewart are valid, have nothing to do with race or the pledge protests.

Senator Thomas Marshall III objected to the motion. Senators voted 35-26 to override the objection and hear the impeachment grounds, which was six votes short of the 2/3 majority needed. The motion failed. The grounds for Stewart’s potential impeachment were not heard as a result of the motion failure.

When asked about the events that night, Stewart said “I will not shy away.”

The Tiger will try to keep you updated as more info is acquired.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this article, The Tiger listed the vote as 35-27 rather than 35-26. We have been informed that two of the votes were rescinded, one on each side, by the Attorney General. The original vote was 36-27. We regret this error.