Top five things you need to know this week: Oct. 2 Edition

Clemson to celebrate homecoming with Tigerama
Tigerama, Clemson’s 61st homecoming celebration, will be held Friday, Oct. 6 at Memorial Stadium. Gates open at 6 p.m., and the show begins at 7 p.m.
The theme this year is Orange Crush in honor of the historic play in the National Championship game. The show will feature performances from the Tiger Band, cheerleaders, Rally Cats, CU Gospel Choir and many more.
Tigerama can trace its history back to the first celebration on Nov. 8, 1957. That event included a fire-eater, jugglers, majorettes, a Miss Tigerama pageant, a Jazz Orchestra, skits and fireworks.
Tickets for this year’s event can be picked up at Hendrix Student Center. They will also be sold on Library Bridge from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Thursday this week.
To learn more about this year’s Tigerama, go to tigerama.org.
Habitat for Humanity build happening this week
Clemson’s chapter of Habitat for Humanity has started its 24th annual Homecoming Build on Bowman Field.
More than 500 volunteers will come together to build a home for a local family over the course of 10 days. There are no skills required to volunteer.
The house will be completed in time for the homecoming football game against Wake Forest on Oct. 7. The next day, the house will be moved to its permanent location.
You can view photos of the project on The Tiger’s website and social media channels.
Volunteers interested in helping can sign up at http://tinyurl.com/ybt78r2r.
AG Sessions calls out Clemson, other colleges for free speech policies
Clemson University is one of several universities that has been singled out for infringing upon students’ free speech rights by Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
During a speech at Georgetown University Law Center last week, Sessions said that “at Clemson University . . . the student code of conduct bans any verbal or physical act that creates an offensive educational, work or living environment.”
Sessions also cited a survey of 450 colleges and universities that found 40 percent have codes that “substantially infringe on constitutionally protected speech.”
In an email to the Washington Post, a Clemson representative said that the university welcomes “robust and vigorous discussions on our campus on all manner of topics,” adding that its policies are consistent with the First Amendment.
Groundbreaking for business building this month
Groundbreaking for Clemson Univeristy’s new College of Business building will be Friday, Oct. 27 at 1 p.m. in front of the Alumni Center.
The new building, which will be around 600,000 to 700,000 square feet in size, is expected to be finished in 2020.
For now,  a prototype of the workspace has been set up on the first floor of Sirrine Hall. The workspace consists of five offices and common spaces and is meant to familiarize staff and faculty with several proposed features for the new building.
Leading up to the groundbreaking, several trees at the site are being harvested. Their wood will go into furniture for the new building.
Public parking for the groundbreaking event will be available in lots E6 and E9.
To learn more about the new business school building, go to http://tinyurl.com/ybh3zf96.
Clemson student wins $125K in lottery
A Clemson University student won’t be worrying about her college debt for much longer.
Brianna Mathis, 20, won $125,000 from a $5 scratch off ticket, according to the SC Education Lottery.
Lottery officials say Mathis told them her pacemaker went off due to the shock of winning the top prize featured on the $5 instant ticket Fantastic 5s.
“After I got over the shock of winning, I gave the ticket to Fort Knox for safe keeping,” Brianna said, referring to her mother.
Mathis plans to use the winnings to pay off her student debt and help purchase a house for her mom. She is interested in pursuing a career as a lawyer after graduating from Clemson.
Lottery officials say Mathis purchased the winning ticket from the Discount Corner located on East River Street in Anderson.