Douthit Hills will no longer house Bridge students

Courtesy of Clemson University Housing and Dining
An artist’s rendering of an aerial view of the Douthit Hills project.

Douthit Hills — the largest construction project in Clemson University’s history — will no longer house Bridge to Clemson students as previously planned, President Jim Clements announced during CUSG Senate’s meeting last week.
Instead, Bridge students will be housed in Lightsey Bridge I and II, according to Kathy Hobgood, Executive Director of Housing and Dining.
Student Affairs Communications Director Phil Sikes said the change was made due to the growth of the Bridge program.
“There is significant space in [the] Lightsey Bridge area to accommodate for future growth of the Bridge program, whereas in Douthit East those three residence halls are limited to just over 800 beds,” he said.
Almeda Jacks, Vice President for Student Affairs, said the final decision was made on Aug. 14 by President Clements with support of the executive leadership team, “although much discussion had been ongoing within our administration and [with the] Board of Trustees.”
“The administration prior to Jim Clements made the decision to move Bridge students on campus to give them a better experience, locating [them] closer to the services provided by Clemson and yet staying connected with Tri-County Technical College,” Jacks said. “TCTC was using off-campus properties for housing since they do not provide that on their campus … The change provides for the best possible future growth of the Bridge program, which now includes almost 850 students.”
Sikes added that Bridge students will be allowed to have cars, although the parking location is yet to be determined. He said it’s also unknown at this point if CATbus routes will be changed to accommodate these new students.
The $212 million Douthit Hills project is expected to open in August 2018 and will provide approximately 1,650 new student beds. The project is split into three zones: West, Central and East, according to the Clemson Housing website.
The West Zone, which is located closest to the main campus, will provide housing for 885 upperclassmen in a mix of one-, two- and four-bedroom apartments in five- and six-story buildings.
On the opposite end of the project, in the East Zone, is a group of four-story buildings with traditional double rooms for 780 incoming freshmen.
In between the two residential sections, in the Center Zone, there will be a new Student Center (the Hub). The Hub will include a new dining facility, campus bookstore, fitness center and retail shops.
Sikes said that in addition to the changes to the Douthit Hills housing plan, McCabe Hall will be reserved for sophomores and upperclassmen beginning next school year. Johnstone Hall will also close at the conclusion of the 2017-18 academic year.