Bike Share program brings more efficient transportation service to Clemson

DAVID PEREZ//Asst. Photo Editor
The Bike Share program, introduced last spring, is one of the latest alternative transportation services introduced to campus.

Getting around Clemson’s hilly campus can be tough, but for students and faculty who are aware of the university’s new Bike Share program, classes are only a short ride away.
The Bike Share program, which went into effect last semester, is doing extremely well, according to Patrick Gorospe, chair of Clemson Undergraduate Student Government’s (CUSG) transportation and facilities committee. 
“By all accounts, it’s been very successful,” Gorospe said. “As of last week, we have over 500 students, faculty and staff enrolled in the program.”
Riders pay an annual $5 fee to participate in the program. In return, they receive a card, which they use to rent the bikes, and a free helmet. The first two hours of each trip are free, and additional fees ($1 for next hour, 50 cents for each additional 30 minutes) are assessed for longer trips.
The bikes also track how far a rider has been, how many calories they have burned and how much money they have saved by not driving. In addition, each rider has their own profile and stats that are put up on a leaderboard.
“It’s actually pretty competitive at the top, there are like five or so people that keep trying to one up each other,” Gorospe said.
Students and faculty members alike have spoken highly of the program.
“It makes it easier to get around campus and get around town,” said Kyle Barrett, Professor of Forestry and Environmental Conservation at Clemson. “I can grab a bike and not have to worry about finding parking downtown. It’ll hopefully lead to more students not driving to campus.”
Evan Watson, a freshman health science major, said he likes the convenience the program provides.
“I live over in Lever, so as opposed to a 15-minute walk it’s a five-minute bike ride [to Core], plus it’s exercise,” he said.
Gorospe says that Clemson’s program is unique due to its small size and low costs.
“Most bike share systems are run by municipalities and have hundreds of stations and thousands of bikes,” he said. “Another huge distinction is that the system is almost free to the user.”
Gorospe added that part of Bike Share’s goal is to help the environment.
“The Clemson population is on the rise; we’re wedded to our cars. When you can get away from that concept you can not only reduce carbon emissions and reduce the environmental impact but you also just lead a healthier, better life,” he said.
Clemson’s Bike Share system currently has five stations and 50 bikes. The number of bikes at each station, as well as the location of these stations, can be found on the my.Clemson app and on Bike Share’s website, clemson.bcycle.com.