Thousands gather in Clemson for parade, celebration honoring National Championship win

Head Coach Dabo Swinney waves to the crowd during Saturday’s parade celebrating the Clemson Tiger’s National Championship win.

Katie McCarthy, News Editor

An estimated 60,000 fans lined the streets and gathered in Memorial Stadium to honor the Clemson Tigers and celebrate the team’s National Championship win.
The parade began at 9 a.m, traveling towards Bowman Field, onto Highway 93 toward the athletics district, onto Centennial Boulevard toward Memorial Stadium and across the Avenue of Champions to Gate 5. It featured more than 40 individual entries, including the Tiger Band, Rally Cats, cheerleaders, former football players, the 1981 National Championship team, City of Clemson Mayor J.C. Cook, Clemson University President Jim Clements, Head Coach Dabo Swinney and members of football support staff. The parade ended with members of the 2016 National Championship team.
An in-stadium celebration followed the parade and featured Head Coach Dabo Swinney, Deshaun Watson, Ben Boulware, Jay Guillermo, Carlos Watkins, Jordan Leggett, Jadar Johnson, Executive Director of the College Football Playoff Bill Hancock, Clemson President Jim Clements and Clemson Director of Athletics Dan Radakovich.
Swinney spoke for a little more than 30 minutes, thanking his family, coaches and players for their support and hard work over the years. He wrapped up his speech saying “the best is yet to come,” hinting at the possibility of more National Championship titles in Clemson’s future.
Clemson took down the top-ranked Alabama Crimson Tide 35-31 Monday night in the College Football Playoff game to clinch the National Championship title.