Deposition order made in Hipps wrongful death suit

The 13th Judicial Circuit Court in Pickens County issued an order Thursday, Jan. 19, directing a potential witness in the Tucker Hipps’ wrongful death suit to appear in court within the next 20 days to provide his deposition.
Hipps died while on a run with his fraternity at Clemson in Sept. 2014. His parents, Cindy and Gary Hipps, filed a wrongful death suit against Thomas Carter King, Campbell T. Starr, Samuel Quillen Carney, South Carolina Beta Chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon, Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity, Inc. and Clemson University in March 2015.
Nearly a year after Hipps’ death, 74-year-old Edwin Griffin came forward and told investigators that he saw Hipps walking along the S.C. 93 bridge.
Griffin failed to appear at a hearing on Jan. 19 after Defendants King, Starr and Carney filed a motion in Nov. 2016 asking why Griffin had not been ordered to be deposed in the case.
The order, signed by Judge Robin Stilwell, states that a bench warrant will be issued for Griffin’s arrest should he fail to give his deposition within the next 20 days.