‘Springing’ into TV: five shows you need to watch this spring

Ah, with a new semester comes new television. Nick Viall is the bachelor and so far the only controversy has been over whether a 24-year-old women should have a nanny or whether it was a dolphin or shark that attended the opening rose ceremony. If you’re not into watching a group of 20-something year old women get humiliated on television, maybe you’d be more interested in how Viola Davis is going to get herself out of jail. Clearly she didn’t do enough research on “How to Get Away with Murder.” If you’re looking for a real “game-changer” maybe you should tune in on March 8 to watch the new season of “Survivor.” Your most memorable castaways are coming back to the same beach for a veteran showdown you don’t want to miss. Most importantly don’t miss the long awaited Puppy Bowl and newly introduced Kitten Bowl which will be on Super Bowl day. Only in America does dressed up animals “playing” sports make good cable. Now coming this spring brings some more not so new television. Previous films and TV shows like Taken and The Good Wife are being made into series prequels and spin offs. There is definitely some promise amongst these new spring series, I mean everybody does like a familiar face!
“Hunted” on CBS
Starring: Lenny DePaul, Amanda Fry, Allison Pagnetti
“Hunted” follows highly skilled investigators as they try to track nine pairs of in a game of real life hide and go seek. In the highly digital world we live in today, it can be nearly impossible to stay hidden for extended periods of time and this show puts that theory to the test. Hunters in the field use state of the art technology to track these people down and find their location. $250,000 will be awarded to the team that successfully stays hidden for 28 days.
“Powerless” premieres Feb 2 at 8:30 p.m. on NBC
Starring: Vanessa Hudgens, Danny Pudi, Alan Tudyk
DC comics makes a superhero spinoff with this series that follows Emily Locke, the Director of Research for a security firm in Charm City. Living in a city constantly being saved and left as collateral damage by superheroes and villains can leave quite a mess. Emily’s (Vanessa Hudgins) job is to come up with products that specialize in protecting the general public. This show will show common civilians that you don’t need to be able to fly or have super strength to be a hero.
“The Good Fight” premieres Feb 19 at 8 p.m. on CBS All Access
Starring: Christine Baranski, Justin Bartha, Cush Jumbo
“The Good Wife” is back! Well, kind of. A year after the final events of “The Good Wife,” Diane Lockhart is ready to retire from the Stern, Lockhart and Gardner firm. Everything should be smooth sailing until a financial scandal surrounding her goddaughter’s father wipes out her savings. Forced out of Lockhart and Gardner, Diane rejoins ex-partner, Lucca Quin, at one of Chicago’s less eminent law firms. “The Good Fight” is the realistic courtroom drama that will refill the void its predecessor left after their exit in 2016.
“Taken” premieres Feb 27 at 10 p.m. on NBC
Starring: Clive Standen, Jenniefer Beals, Brooklyn Sudano
Liam Neeson’s character Bryan Mills is back in series prequel to the actual movie “Taken.” Clive Standen plays the former CIA agent in this rendition. Mills is out for revenge after a personal tragedy turns his whole world upside down. After he gets asked back to become a very dangerous CIA operative, he is needed to complete a number of very secretive, thrill seeking tasks that may take his life before he gets to take the lives of those who have wronged him.
“Time after Time” premieres March 5 at 9 p.m. on ABC
Starring: Will Chase, Elliot Villar, Omar Maskati
Based upon Karl Alexander’s sci-fi novel and Nicholas Meyer’s previous film, “Time after Time” is a time travel and mystery series about fiction writer H.G. Wells. Wells suspects his friend is Jack the Ripper so he follows him through time until ultimately landing in present-day Manhattan. Wells continues to relentlessly follow his friend across the city, looking for evidence to support his claims. His only distractions are a whole new world he never knew existed and shiny young women who catch his eye.