City of Clemson suspending open container law for National Championship viewing party

The City of Clemson will be suspending its open container law for a National Championship viewing party on Monday, Jan. 9.
Officials said the viewing party will be held from 7 p.m. until 1 a.m. College Avenue will be closed between Keith Street and Highway 93 during that time.
While the open container law will be suspended during these hours, no outside coolers, glass containers or beverages will be allowed in the gated area.
Patrons 21 and up must obtain a wristband from a participating downtown business to consume alcohol in the gated region of the viewing party.
In addition, Clemson University will offer an on-campus watch party for students; the event is not open to the public. The party will begin at 7 p.m. at the Hendrix Student Center in the David Peebles Room.
“We discussed having a ‘viewing party’ in one of our athletic facilities, but with expectations of 40,000+ of our Clemson Family with us in Tampa, along with many of our support staff, the logistics didn’t work out,” Director of Athletics Dan Radakovich said. “With our partners in Student Affairs offering a place for students who are in town to watch the game, and several community businesses open and active this special night, we know everyone in Clemson will be cheering on the Tigers!”
The Tigers are scheduled to return to the West End Zone on Jan. 10 at 4:30 p.m.