Nikki Haley: from state house to world stage

governornikkihaley//Flickr

In the weeks following the election of President Donald Trump, Nikki Haley was selected to serve as the administration’s ambassador to the United Nations. While some do not believe that she is qualified to serve in such a capacity, I believe that her experience as Governor of South Carolina has prepared her very well.
Senator Lindsey Graham mentioned during her confirmation hearing with the Senate Foreign Relations committee that, “you can learn the details of foreign policy, but you either have the ability to persuade people, the ability to transform organizations, or you don’t.” I strongly agree with Sen. Graham that it’s all about the determination and the poise that Gov. Haley has which will set her apart moving forward.
Nikki Haley is the perfect example of fulfilling the American dream. Born to immigrant parents, she grew up in rural South Carolina and received a world-class education at Clemson. Her experiences at Clemson taught her how to collaborate with others and find new solutions to existing problems. As Senator Tim Scott stated in his introduction of Gov. Haley to the committee, “She learned how to get along with folks, she learned how to study, she learned how to be a student to the things that mattered to her, and over time that transcended everything that she did.”
After serving in the South Carolina House of Representatives, her election to governor in 2011 is what tested her abilities the most. She quickly found that her ability to unify people and resolve conflict was tested after the shooting of a Charleston church congregation. During that time, she brought down the Confederate flag from the capitol, easing the pain felt by citizens across South Carolina. Gov. Haley also demonstrated her ability to act in times of crisis last year as she handled one of the worst floods that South Carolina has ever seen.
She has been a champion of the middle class by creating jobs and incentivizing employers to invest here in South Carolina communities. She proved during her hearing that she stands with the American people first and wants to bring peace and prosperity by strengthening our existing international ties. Her skill set and her visionary outlook are needed in the United Nations as the Secretary General seeks to reform the body.
As a Clemson community, we should be extremely proud that our alumni, governor, and future UN ambassador is heading to the world stage to continue America’s efforts in countries around the globe. As members of the Clemson community continue to represent our school in larger and more influential roles, we continue to realize why it is so great to be a Clemson Tiger.