Clemson plans fiscal budget for expansion of university

Clemson University has requested nearly $103 million from the state for the 2017-2018 fiscal year, out of $1.1 billion worth of requests from all state universities and colleges. Clemson’s budget for the 2017-2018 school year will be up for discussion in the House Ways and Means Committee’s subcommittee on higher education and technical school budgets this week. Some of the highlights of Clemson’s request are below:
$3.16 million — Connected Vehicles Center (CVC) at CUICAR
The university is planning to establish the Connected Vehicles Center (CVC) at the Clemson University International Center for Automotive Research (CUICAR) in Greenville. According to the university’s request, the Connected Vehicles Center’s research would be primarily focused on “the development and building of energy efficient, autonomous on-demand means of transportation,” and will work to “improve South Carolina’s competitiveness in attracting and retaining automotive manufacturers.” The funding will be used to fund salaries for six FTEs and graduate students, lease expenses and provide research operating support, infrastructure and equipment. If partial funds are received, the university plans to take a phased approach to establish the Connected Vehicles Center.
$3.1 million — Cyber-Physical Security Institute (CPSI)
The university is planning to establish the Cyber-Physical Security Institute (CPSI) which will “focus on making the electric power grid and the motor vehicle transportation grid safer and more stable.” The funding will be used to provide salaries and fringe benefits for six research scientists and postdocs in addition to paying for critical infrastructure and equipment. If partial funds are received, the university plans to take a phased approach to implement the Cyber-Physical Security Institute.
$1.96 million — Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) Center
The university is planning to establish the Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) Center to develop a state-of-the-art system for advanced manufacturing. According to the university’s request, the PLM Center will help manufacturers reduce cost and improve efficiency by integrating all facets of design and manufacturing into one process. The funding will be used to provide salaries and fringe benefits for eight FTEs and graduate students in addition to paying for equipment, travel and software fees. If only partial funding is received, the university says the PLM Center’s goal of allowing greater outreach to industries will be delayed.
$5 million — Critical Investment in SC’s Advanced Materials Industrial Competitiveness
This non-recurring funding request would provide for investments in cutting-edge advanced materials instruments which will allow the university to conduct research and develop technology to benefit SC industries and employers.
$25 million — Business & Behavioral Sciences Building
The university is planning to provide a new facility to house and consolidate all undergraduate programs in the College of Business and Behavioral Sciences. These programs are currently housed in Sirrine Hall which was constructed in 1938 and has not been renovated in 35 years. The university considered renovating Sirrine Hall but deemed doing so to be impractical and financially burdensome. The new building will create an enhanced interface between academics and industry while accommodating current and future growth.
$25 million — Advanced Materials Science Complex Building
The university is looking to provide a facility for the Departments of Materials Science and Engineering, Chemical and Bio-Molecular Engineering and Chemistry for collaborative research and teaching. These programs are currently housed in older facilities that require extensive maintenance.
$15 million — Martin Hall Renovation
Renovations for the 54-year-old building include HVAC and window replacement to improve efficiency and air quality deficiencies.
$14 million — Long Hall Renovation
Long Hall, constructed in 1937, needs HVAC, plumbing and electrical systems replaced.
$10.5 million — Daniel Hall Renovation
Built in 1969, Daniel Hall needs a gut renovation, HVAC upgrades and accessibility improvements.