Life in Clemson after a Natty win

Contributed by Savannah N. Miller

As far as the new semester goes, it looks like we are off to a pretty good start. The National Championship win set the mood for the rest of the year, so hopefully it will go as expected. The thing is, you can’t just sit back and expect things to go your way. If you want to have good closure of the semester, here are a few ideas to make sure that happens.
Football season is over, but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t any Clemson sports available for viewing. Although not as popular, Clemson is currently in the middle of their basketball season. Men’s basketball has a current record of 11-7, so not too bad overall. Also, the first baseball game is on Feb. 28, and the events are quite entertaining. If you find yourself in need of some time to kill, go watch a game. I’m sure they’ll appreciate the extra attendance.
Now, I understand that plants don’t really grow that well during the winter, but the Botanical Gardens are still a fun place to check out during the colder months. There are 295 acres to explore with paths throughout. Along with the forest and other plants that do grow in the cold, there are some neat little structures scattered around the garden that you could also go and check out.
OK, before you call me out on this one, Lake Hartwell can actually be kind of fun in the winter. Alright, I take that back. It’s only really fun if you enjoy fishing. But a lot of times there are other fun events to go on Y Beach like the weekly U-Nites. Most of the events are on Friday nights, so if you ever feel lonely, you have a place to go have fun. You might want to sign up for it beforehand, though. It’s kind of weird when you show up to places uninvited.
I’m also sorry for this, but to quote Macklemore, “[you] ain’t seen nothing yet until you’re downtown!” Basically, downtown Clemson is really great. There’s plenty of awesome restaurants and a couple stores to check out. There’s also a couple of bars, so you can party it up if you want to. But also don’t drink if you aren’t of age. Seriously, don’t do it.
It might be kind of obvious that Clemson is in a mountainous region, so obviously the surrounding area would be great for hiking or camping. Any outdoor activities are great this time of year because of the temperate climate. The Larry W. Abernathy Waterfront Park is a great local nature park that would make for a good day trip. The surrounding forested area, along with being good for camping or hiking, would also probably not be bad for mountain biking. There’s bound to be plenty of trails for exploring.
So I guess it would be a little cliché to suggest doing this right after New Year’s, but the Fike Recreation Center is also another great place to go if you are looking for something to do. Inside, they have a climbing wall, a swimming pool and basketball and racquetball courts. If you want some physical activity without having to go into the great outdoors, go have some fun at Fike with your friends.
One major event that is coming up in about a week is the second, or Spring Tiger Prowl. If you went to the first one or others in previous years, you’ll know what’s up. But in the case that you haven’t, Tiger Prowl (Jan. 26, 12-3) is pretty much a large gathering of all the clubs and organizations on campus. Walk around, and you’re bound to find something that you like. Then, presto! You have a new group of friends and a new hobby to involve yourself in for the rest of the year. The Tiger will even be out there, so make sure to say “hi;” you might find your new favorite organization.